Best LED Grow Lights in Canada: Top Picks and Buyer’s Guide
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
No matter what you want to grow in your indoor garden, you need the proper equipment.
And LED lights are the most important component.
Today, we will look at the list of the best LED grow lights in Canada and check what makes them so good. Plus, you will learn how to find the most suitable option for you and your plants. Let’s dive right in!
A Quick Preview
Our List of the Best LED Grow Lights in Canada
Best Overall – Editor’s Pick - Mars Hydro TS 1,000W
- reflective aluminum hood that directs the light down an increases its intensity for better growth;
- full spectrum with 342 pieces for improved performance;
- 1,000 watts to cover a 3 x 3 area, ideal for indoor gardening;
- silent, will not irritate you even when sitting in the same room;
- dimming feature to control the light exposure during different stages of plant growth.
Being among the best options for indoor gardening, the Mars Hydro offers reliable and efficient performance, all in one set of LEDs. Consuming only around 150 watts, this model can cover a larger area without a problem. Using an aluminum hood, it directs the light towards the plants and boosts its own performance. These are the full spectrum LED grow lights, which makes them suitable for a wide variety of plants and all stages of their growth.
- Energy-efficient, don’t consume much and will help you save on electricity
- Enhanced performance thanks to the special hood
- Quiet design, won’t annoy you
- Suitable for a 3 x 3 area, good for indoor gardens (and even for larger areas, but if you use fewer plants)
- Dim feature to control the amount of lighting during different growth phases
- May be too pricey for some users (some growers complain that the price is too high for such a power rating)
- Might not be powerful enough for more experienced or demanding growers
Best for Smaller Grow Tents - Mars Hydro TS 600W
- work with 2 x 2 grow areas, which makes them great for smaller living spaces;
- consume only 100 watts, great for saving energy;
- reflective hood for directed light dispersion and improved performance;
- warm white, blue, red, and infrared lights for effective plant growth;
- use aluminum for cooling instead of a fan, which makes them quiet and saves extra on electricity.
The next item on our list is another model by Mars Hydro. These LED lights are a bit smaller and less powerful than the previous ones, which makes them perfect for smaller indoor gardens or beginner growers. Despite the size, these LED lights are using the full color spectrum and direct the light towards the plants, promoting faster growth. They don’t use much electricity to function while showing excellent performance, which can buy many users over.
- Work for smaller spaces (which also makes them cheaper than the previous model)
- Energy-efficient, don’t consume that much while operating smoothly
- Aluminum hood for enhanced light exposure for the plants
- Quiet, won’t disturb you (even if you live in a small apartment and can’t put the grow tent in another room)
- Not powerful enough for larger numbers of plants or bigger tents
- May produce too much heat for some types of plants
Best for Value Seekers - Likesuns
- vegetable and bloom settings for different growth stages;
- full spectrum lights (orange, blue, red, white) for effective exposure and growth;
- include a built-in fan for cooling;
- powerful enough for a 3 x 3 area, great for larger tents;
- come with the glasses that will protect you from the bright light.
These LED grow lights have a lot to offer for a reasonable price, which makes them ideal for value seekers. There are three settings for different phases: Veg for the earliest period, Bloom for the flowering and fruiting in the middle of the cycle, and Veg + Bloom for faster ripening. Another cool thing about the Likesuns lights is the large built-in fan that effectively reduces the emitted heat and allows for proper air circulation inside the grow tent.
- Great value for money (powerful and effective but come at a reasonable price)
- Efficient and don’t consume much energy
- Integrated cooling system for proper air circulation
- 3 spectrum modes for different plant phases and fast, healthy growing
- May not be bright enough for some types of plants, which can result in plant stretching
- Not as durable as some of the competitors (previously mentioned lights, for example)
Buying LED Grow Lights in Canada: What Are They Exactly and Why Are They Important?
The light spectrum includes different color variations that we may or may not see. When it comes to growing plants or vegetables, the most important color wavelengths are blue and red. The blue color is needed for the vegetative period while the red light is needed for the flowering phase.
That’s the main secret behind the LED grow lights. They produce the colors that your plants require to grow well. Some manufacturers make it possible for their LED lights to emit different color wavelengths, so you can adjust the settings according to the plant type and its growth stage.
Know Your Size: How to Pick Suitable LED Lights for Your Grow Tent
So, when trying to find the best LED grow lights in Canada, you may start wondering: what size of the LED lights do I need for the 3x3 grow tent? The number of LEDs and the wattage may vary depending on the manufacturer, but for this tent size, 300-350 watts should be enough.
If we’re talking about the 4x4 tent, then anything between 500 to 650 watts should suffice. However, different users have various living conditions and tent sizes, so let’s take a closer look at those:
|Tent size||Square feet||Recommended wattage|
|1 x 1||1||30-40|
|2 x 2||4||60-80|
|2 x 3||6||90-120|
|3 x 3||9||300|
|3 x 4||12||400|
|4 x 4||16||500-550|
|4 x 5||20||600-640|
|5 x 5||25||800|
|6 x 6||36||1,150|
|6 x 7||40||1,280|
|10 x 10||100||1,500-2,000|
|10 x 25||250||3,750-5,000|
|10 x 50||500||7,500-10,000|
Keep in mind that the needed wattage may also depend on your plant type, as they may require different light intensity to grow well (1).
The Cost of LED Grow Lights in Canada
Now, the operating cost of LED grow lights in Canada would depend on your local KWH (kilowatt per hour) cost, the total operating time, the grow phase of your plant, and the size of your grow tent.
However, if we take average numbers, we can get a rough idea of how much it costs to use LED grow lights in Canada:
|Grow light wattage||Average cost per month|
Here’s a handy calculator you can use to estimate how much it would cost for you to use LED grow lights depending on the KWH cost and the operating hours during the day (with the recommended number of hours somewhere between 14 and 18) (2).
What to Consider When Searching for the Best LED Grow Lights in Canada
When trying to find suitable LED grow lights in Canada, there are many aspects you need to think about.
Don’t worry though:
It’s not rocket science.
And once you go through the most important factors, you will understand what you need exactly. Here’s what you should pay attention to:
- LED type. Basically, there are 2 main types: full spectrum lights and the ones that support separate vegging and blooming lights. While full spectrum lights are almost universal and can work for different plants throughout all growth phases, the separate type offers a more controlled approach. For instance, if you need separate light settings for different areas of your tent (growing area and flowering area).
- Light intensity. Don’t confuse this aspect with how bright the light appears to the human eye. Light intensity implies the number of photons that it emits and the plants can use to grow. If you aren’t sure what light intensity your specific plants require, reading the manufacturers recommendations would be the safest solution in this case. You may also want to check the PPF (Photosynthetic Photon Flux). As a general rule of thumb, if the LED light PPF is higher than 1100 umol/s, it will easily cover the 4 x 4 area (16 square feet).
- Wattage. The required wattage of your LED lights would depend on many factors. They may include the tent size, the plant type, the growth phase, and so on. So, while you have general recommendations for different tent sizes, you may want to check an online calculator that can also factor in other aspects.
- Coverage area. How big is your grow tent? You need the lights that would cover the whole area, so that each plant gets enough light. Typically, the most powerful LED grow lights can cover a 4 x 4 area. This means if you have an 8 x 8 tent, for example, it’s better to buy two lamps that would cover a 4 x 4 section. Performance-wise, such a configuration would be better than buying bigger lights for an 8 x 8 area.
- Budget. LED grow lights can be quite expensive, and that’s the main issue users typically have with them. However, LED lights will serve you longer, which means they can be a worthy investment. The price will depend on the quality of parts, spectrum, and the light intensity. But remember that the most expensive lights might not be the best ones. You need to pay attention to the characteristics first, and only then – the price.
- Warranty. Typically, the warranty for LED grow lights ranges between 1 and 7 years depending on the brand. A 3-year warranty is probably the most common coverage option. Of course, most users want longer warranty as it can be an indication of good quality. However, it’s also important to check what aspects the warranty covers. Fixing LED lights can be expensive, so if your warranty covers that, you would save more money in the long run.
What lights do professional growers use?
Professional growers typically use LED grow lights as they are more efficient.
Do LED grow lights really work?
Yes, LED grow lights are able to emit the light spectrum that the plants need in order to grow well.
How many watts do I need for 6 plants?
It depends on your plant size. If the plant is 1 sq. ft., you will need around 35 watts for each plant, which means 210 watts for 6 plants. If your plants are 2 sq. ft. each, you will need around 420 watts.
Are LED lights as good as HPS?
LED grow lights are more durable and energy-efficient than HPS lights. Additionally, they have lower heat output and are more suitable for smaller spaces. At the same time, LED lights are more expensive, which can be an issue for some users.
What color LED is the best for plants?
Plants typically require more of blue and red light and a bit less of green and yellow light during different growth stages.
How many plants can I grow with a 300w LED light?
If each plant is 1 sq. ft., you can use the 300w LED light for around 8 plants.
Trying to find suitable LED grow lights in Canada may seem like a challenging task.
But once you figure out what factors really deserve your attention, you will easily narrow down the options and pick what would work for you. Just make sure you get the suitable wattage and light intensity for your plants and tent size. Plus, don’t forget to always check the warranty and what it covers.
And if you haven’t settled on anything yet, I would love to recommend the LED grow lights that impressed me the most. The Mars Hydro TS 1,000W makes a great option for indoor growing thanks to its efficient design and powerful performance. It is suitable for a wide range of plants and can support your indoor garden through all the growth stages.
So, are you ready to make a purchase? Which LED lights did you pick? Share your thoughts in the comments!
- Megan Hughes (2020, April 06). How to Choose the Best Plant Grow Lights for Your Indoor Garden. Retrieved from https://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/care/choosing-plant-grow-lights/
- Brian Barth (2018, March 02). Grow Lights for Indoor Plants and Indoor Gardening: An Overview. Retrieved from https://modernfarmer.com/2018/03/grow-lights-for-indoor-plants-and-indoor-gardening/
LED Grow Lights Considered
Hours of Research