Best Sofa Beds in Canada
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Modern problems require modern solutions.
And if you want to turn your apartment into a multifunctional space, then a sofa bed might be a modern solution for you.
This piece of furniture can be used as a comfy sofa during the day and is often able to turn into a full-fledged sleeping spot for your occasional guests, or even yourself.
So, check my reviews of the best sofa beds in Canada right below and choose the model that fits your needs!
A Quick Preview
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
Our Reviews of 5 Best Sofa Beds in Canada
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice - South Shore Furniture
Let’s start with one of the best sofa beds in Canada I’ve reviewed recently. This model by South Shore Furniture is comfortable for both sitting and sleeping, has a sectional design that you can adjust to your room’s layout, and comes in a neutral gray color that will fit into any interior.
This sofa bed is pretty large, so chances are that if you purchase it for your apartment — assuming you live in a studio — this might be the only soft furniture item you’ll need. Note that the chaise longue section can be installed on the left or the right part of the sofa, depending on what looks best for you.
Also, the chaise longue features spacious storage for your bedding, so if your room space is limited, this could be another advantage for you.
Finally, I think that the South Shore Furniture is designed for active use. It features a removable cover for easier maintenance. You can take it off and wipe-clean to prevent debris from building up in hard-to-reach corners.
I think that the South Shore Furniture sofa bed is a good pick for anyone who doesn’t have space for a regular bed. It’s comfortable and can withstand years of active use without losing support.
- Active use. The sofa bed is made of high-quality materials and features a removable cover that you can change after it wears out.
- Those who have limited storage space. The South Shore Furniture will help you ease your storage problem a bit by offering a large drawer for your bedding items.
- Generous hosts. If you love to host guests, then this sofa bed can become a good alternative to sleeping on the hard floor or an airbed.
- some users don't like a gap between 2 parts of the sofa;
Best for Small Spaces - Novogratz
Now, even though sofa beds are designed for small spaces, some rooms may still be too small even for a standard sofa bed. That’s why I’ve put the Novogratz convertible futon in my review of the best sofa beds in Canada. It’s pretty compact yet comfortable and has a sleek design that can fit into any modern interior.
The Novogratz features a sturdy wooden frame with a three-position mechanism. You can switch between sofa, lounger, and bed, and the transition between them goes very smoothly. Also, the back section has 2 independent halves, which adds a bit more versatility and is a plus if you share a futon with someone.
Speaking of the memory foam padding in the seats, it has a firmer feel, which is common for sofas because they’re used more actively. However, the foam isn’t uncomfortably firm, and you may even be able to sleep on it on a regular basis (depending on your main sleep position and weight).
The sleeping area measures 73 x 44 inches, which is narrower than a Full-size mattress but wider than Twin. So, I can recommend the Novogratz for sleeping if you’re a larger single user. A petite couple or a parent and a child might be able to use this futon as well, but only as a temporary solution.
Overall, the Novogratz is a decent convertible futon. It’s pretty comfortable, has a durable wooden frame, and may work as a sleeping spot if you don’t have other options.
- Small spaces. The Novogratz becomes really compact when folded, which makes it a fit for even the tiniest room.
- Heavy sleepers. Despite being pretty small, this futon sofa can hold up to 600 lbs, so if you’re a large user, you can consider the Novogratz as an option.
- Those who need something aesthetically pleasing. The futon is available in 5 pleasant colors and has a sleek design with a glamorous touch. A real eye candy!
- some users may find it too simple design;
Best for Everyday Use - DHP Emily
A sofa bed for everyday use should have a functional design without a lot of extra features that will make you overpay for them. Also, it should be pretty minimalistic, so the design won’t start to annoy you over time. Finally, it should be durable and withstand years of active use without breaking. Fortunately, the Emily by DHP has all these features, so I’m putting it on my list of the best sofa beds in Canada.
The futon frame is multi-positional and allows you to switch between sofa, bed, lounger, or just fold one of the halves of the back. I tested each position and found all of them to be pretty comfortable, so you can easily adjust the futon to your lifestyle.
The padding is made of foam and cradles your body pretty well if you sleep on your back or stomach. However, I think that the layer might be too thin for a heavy user, so if this is your case, I recommend you add a mattress topper above the futon.
You can choose from several neutral colors and upholstery materials, including faux leather and the standard velvety-like fabric, which leaves a lot of options for styling your interior.
Given the fact that the DHP is the cheapest option on my list, I was quite impressed with what it can offer. The futon is comfortable for both sitting and sleeping and will easily serve you for years to come.
- Regular sleeping. The foam padding will offer you sufficient cradling for and won’t make your muscles sore (assuming you mostly sleep on your back or stomach).
- Multifunctional spaces. The DHP can be used in various ways but it won’t eat up much space no matter which configuration you choose.
- Those who want a minimalist sofa. The DHP features a simple yet stylish design and can complete your interior.
- chrome metal legs can't be suitable for all rooms;
Best Luxurious Option - Ashley Furniture
The next option in my review of quality sofa beds in Canada falls into the more expensive segment, but it’s literally worth every dollar spent. The Ashley Furniture sofa turns into a Queen-size sleeping spot in seconds, features durable materials, and comes in a nice design!
So, the sofa features an incredibly smooth pull-out mechanism. Just remove the seat cushions and unfold the steel frame — and you’ll get a sleeping spot in seconds.
The mattress has innerspring construction and can offer decent support for your spine and body. I tested it for three nights and have found that the mattress doesn’t create pressure points in your hips and shoulders while you’re sleeping on your side, which is surprising for an innerspring bed.
Also, good news for folks like me, who don’t get very enthusiastic about assembling the furniture: this sofa bed comes assembled. Just make sure that your doorways are at least 32” before you purchase the sofa; otherwise, it won’t fit through.
Another great thing is that the Ashley Furniture sofa bed is upholstered with durable faux leather that can withstand years of active use and is easy to maintain: just wipe it with a damp cloth if needed.
I’m aware that this sofa bed definitely isn’t a budget-friendly option, but if you’re not tight on money, I definitely recommend it. The sofa is incredibly sturdy, and the mattress can offer you sufficient support even if you plan to sleep on it daily.
- Those who aren’t on a budget. The Ashley Furniture sofa is definitely on the expensive side, but when you dig into the features, you’ll understand that the combo of quality materials is totally worth the price.
- Sleepers with back pain issues. The innerspring mattress offers a pretty good amount of support for your spinal curves, so it pretty much can be your lifesaver if you don’t have a space for a regular bed.
- Active use. The steel frame of the Ashley Furniture sofa combined with the durable PU-leather upholstery will serve you literally forever, assuming you won’t neglect simple care manipulations, such as checking the joints from time to time and vacuuming hard-to-reach crevices.
- some users dislike the seat cushions;
Best for Versatility - ACME
Now, I’m a big fan of sectional furniture because it allows you to adjust the sections to make the most of your room’s layout. That’s why I placed the ACME sofa as the final option in my review of the best sofa beds in Canada. It has a reversible chaise longue section and an oversized freestanding ottoman that you can use and combine as you like.
The upholstery is made of faux leather and has a gorgeous white color that will make the sofa the main accent of every interior. The cover is waterproof and easy to maintain, but beware of the liquids that can stain the upholstery, such as wine — it’s better to keep them away from the sofa.
Having tested the cushions, I found them to be pretty firm. However, your body is likely to adjust to this feel over time. Besides, the firm padding is beneficial for those who sleep on their back or stomach, so if this is your case, I suggest you try the ACME.
The back section doesn’t recline, but by attaching the ottoman to the sofa, you’ll get the sleeping area almost equal to the Queen size (83 x 57 inches), which is enough to fit two average adults.
The ACME is a slightly peculiar piece of furniture, but it has all the basics for comfortable sleep and leisure time. So, if you’re feeling fancy, I can recommend this sofa bed as a go-to option.
- Functional spaces. The ACME allows you to vary the configuration of the sofa depending on your room’s layout and use the ottoman section as a separate sitting spot for your guests.
- Guest rooms. This sofa can offer pretty comfortable conditions for occasional sleeping, assuming that your visitors are fans of firmer beds. If not, you can add a soft mattress topper above to make them feel more comfortable.
- Back and stomach sleepers. The firm foam padding of the ACME sofa is good for supporting proper spinal alignment if you sleep on your stomach or back.
- some like bright colors;
Different Types of Sofa Beds Explained
Do you know why the process of looking for the best sofa beds in Canada can be so difficult?
Because there are so many types of them!
Honestly, I’ve got my head spinning while preparing this review.
However, I managed to organize my findings and will gladly share them with you.
Modular Sofa Beds
Also known as sectional, this is probably the most common option on the market. The modular furniture consists of — you’ve guessed it — modules that arrange into a sofa or a couch. These modules can be one of three types:
- Standard. Seats, back sections, and armrests are examples of the standard modules. In order to use them, you need to assemble the furniture according to the instructions and they cannot be used in any other way.
- Reversible. This can be, for example, a chaise longue section in a corner sofa. You can mount this section to the left or the right side of the sofa frame according to your room’s layout.
- Freestanding. The typical example of a freestanding section is an ottoman, which you can use separately or even put it into another room.
Also, some sections can have a pull-out drawer to store your goods, such as bedding or large clothes, which helps you make your space more functional.
“Note that sectional furniture often looks bulkier than other types, so if your room space is too small, you might want to check other options.”
Pull-Out Sofa Beds
The second most common mechanism for sofa beds is a pull-out one. Pull-out sofas are usually smaller than sectionals and feature a sleeping area folded and hidden inside the seat section. Usually, they are quite easy to use. But watch out for a durable mechanism, as pulling out your bed frequently leads to sooner wear out.
“Most pull-out sofas come in the Full size, which is enough for a small or average adult couple.”
Futon sofas, also known as American futons, are innerspring or foam mattresses with a frame. They have a minimalistic design that can fit into any interior. Plus, they are pretty functional, as the frame typically has a multi-positional mechanism.
Note that futon sofas might not be a good pick for heavy users. The thing is, a futon mattress is usually 6 to 10 inches thick and it’s often made with fiber padding that may go flat under a larger weight.
These are very similar to the futon sofas, except that the mattress is built into the frame and you cannot remove or replace it (1). Some sleeper sofas are L-shaped and have a pull-out sectional to create a flat bed with enough space to accommodate two average adults. Others may not have the hinge: all you need to do is remove back pillows and voila — you’ve got a sleeping spot!
Other Things to Consider When Shopping for a Good Sofa Bed in Canada
Even though the weight capacity of the sofa bed depends on its size and manufacturer, general guidelines are the following:
- Twin: 250 lbs;
- Full: 500 lbs;
- Queen: 600 lbs;
- King: 650 lbs.
Be sure to check if your chosen model’s capacity is sufficient to support you and your partner if you have one. This way, you won’t be worrying about suddenly collapsing on the floor in the middle of the night.
The choice of the upholstery fabric for your sofa depends on the following factors:
- ease of maintenance;
- your lifestyle;
- your budget.
For example, if you plan to actively use your sofa in the living room, opt for durable fabrics like corduroy or microfibre blends (2). They will withstand active use for years and are much easier to maintain than chenille or natural velvet.
Those who have children or live with pets should give their preference to upholstery that is easy to clean. Natural or PU leather works best; however, you can choose cotton upholstery as a budget option or go for synthetic fabric with a weave that can resist pet claws.
You can find different sizes of sofa beds today but the most common options are Twin, Full, and Queen. King sofa beds aren’t very popular because their bulkiness somewhat defeats the idea of saving space.
So, a Twin sofa bed, also known as a chair bed, is a good pick for very limited spaces. They typically don’t feature a pull-out section and measure around 54” x 85” when unfolded.
If you plan to use your sofa bed for sleeping, the bare minimum for your comfort is a Full sofa bed. It will measure 72” wide and about 90” long when unfolded and can easily accommodate two adults, although it might feel a bit crowded.
Finally, if you need enough space for you and your partner — and if your room allows it — choose a Queen-size sofa. It measures around 84” x 90” and can fit three adults for sitting (3), which also makes them a good choice for friend gatherings.
Today I’ve reviewed the most popular sofa beds in Canada. They all have good supportive properties and can be used as an alternative to a regular mattress if you don’t have enough space. My most favorite among them is the South Shore Furniture. It looks stylish and has a neutral color that may work for any interior. Plus, it resembles the feel of a regular bed the most closely and can support your spine in whatever position you sleep. Now, what do you think about this model? What factors are the most important for you when shopping for a sofa bed? Share below!
What is the weight capacity of a sofa bed when opened?
Most sofa beds have a weight capacity of around 500 lbs, which is enough to hold two average adults.
How much does a sofa bed weigh?
A sofa bed weighs around 350 lbs on average, with the heaviest parts being the frame and the lifting mechanism. Models with fewer parts and sections will weigh less.
- Alan Donahue (2018, March 16). Types of Sofa Bed Mechanisms. Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/13411901/types-of-sofa-bed-mechanisms
- Anna Cottrell (2019, July 31). Sofa fabrics: 6 tips for choosing the best upholstery for your furniture. Retrieved from https://www.realhomes.com/buying-guides/5-expert-tips-for-choosing-the-best-sofa-fabric
- Abe Abbas (2019, December 9). What to Know Before Buying a Sleeper Sofa. Retrieved from https://www.thespruce.com/before-buying-sleeper-sofa-1391221
Sofa beds Considered
Hours of Research