Best Sofa Beds in Canada based on consumer reports & ratings
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Modern problems require modern solutions.
And if you want to turn your apartment into a multifunctional space, then a sofa bed might be a modern solution for you.
This piece of furniture can be used as a comfy sofa during the day and is often able to turn into a full-fledged sleeping spot for your occasional guests, or even yourself.
So, check my reviews of the best sofa beds in Canada right below and choose the model that fits your needs!
A Quick Preview
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
Our Reviews of 5 Best Sofa Beds in Canada
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice - South Shore Furniture
- removable cover for effortless cleaning;
- extra storage under the chaise longue to help save space;
- the chaise lounge can be moved to the left or right to work in pretty much any room layout.
Let’s start with one of the best sofa beds in Canada I’ve reviewed recently. This model by South Shore Furniture is comfortable for both sitting and sleeping, has a sectional design that you can adjust to your room’s layout, and comes in a neutral gray color that will fit into any interior.
This sofa bed is pretty large, so chances are that if you purchase it for your apartment — assuming you live in a studio — this might be the only soft furniture item you’ll need. Note that the chaise longue section can be installed on the left or the right part of the sofa, depending on what looks best for you.
Also, the chaise longue features spacious storage for your bedding, so if your room space is limited, this could be another advantage for you.
Finally, I think that the South Shore Furniture is designed for active use. It features a removable cover for easier maintenance. You can take it off and wipe-clean to prevent debris from building up in hard-to-reach corners.
I think that the South Shore Furniture sofa bed is a good pick for anyone who doesn’t have space for a regular bed. It’s comfortable and can withstand years of active use without losing support.
- Active use. The sofa bed is made of high-quality materials and features a removable cover that you can change after it wears out.
- Those who have limited storage space. The South Shore Furniture will help you ease your storage problem a bit by offering a large drawer for your bedding items.
- Generous hosts. If you love to host guests, then this sofa bed can become a good alternative to sleeping on the hard floor or an airbed.
- some users don't like a gap between 2 parts of the sofa;
Best for Smaller Spaces — Convertible Futon Sofa by Best Choice Products
- metal legs to deliver sturdier support and increased durability;
- three color options to suit different interiors;
- includes cup holders and armrests for comfortable lounging.
Another item that deserves to be among the best sofa beds in Canada is this compact yet comfy futon sofa by Best Choice Products. It can easily fit two people and makes a great lounging spot for smaller apartments and living rooms. Plus, because it converts into a bed, this futon sofa can help you save a lot of space if your home is a bit smaller.
Additionally, the convertible sofa by Best Choice Products has three backrest positions, which makes it rather versatile in use. I also appreciated the tufted back that gives this sofa a cozier look. Plus, it’s very comfortable to sit or lie on. The armrests are removable, so they won’t be in your way when sleeping. And when converted into a bed, this futon offers good levels of support thanks to the generous amount of filling.
- Average users. Because the maximum weight capacity of this model is 300 pounds, it might not be supportive enough for partnered sleep if you and your significant other are larger than average.
- Families with kids. This convertible futon bed does not have sharp edges. It is generously stuffed and has soft rounded edges. Therefore, it is safe for young kids if they decide to play on it.
- Smaller spaces. This sofa bed is pretty compact but can serve as a lounging and sleeping spot for two people. It can be an excellent solution for small living spaces where you need multi-functional furniture.
- the weight capacity of this sofa bed may not be enough to accommodate heavier couples;
- the middle section has a metal bar, which you may feel when sleeping on this sofa (in this case, you might have to add something in the middle for cushioning or lie on one of the “halves” of the bed).
Best for Everyday Use - DHP Emily
- durable wooden frame with chrome legs for increased lifespan;
- three-position mechanism for easy adjustments and comfortable lounging;
- available in different colors and upholstery materials to work for various interiors and satisfy more shoppers.
A sofa bed for everyday use should have a functional design without a lot of extra features that will make you overpay for them. Also, it should be pretty minimalistic, so the design won’t start to annoy you over time. Finally, it should be durable and withstand years of active use without breaking. Fortunately, the Emily by DHP has all these features, so I’m putting it on my list of the best sofa beds in Canada.
The futon frame is multi-positional and allows you to switch between sofa, bed, lounger, or just fold one of the halves of the back. I tested each position and found all of them to be pretty comfortable, so you can easily adjust the futon to your lifestyle.
The padding is made of foam and cradles your body pretty well if you sleep on your back or stomach. However, I think that the layer might be too thin for a heavy user, so if this is your case, I recommend you add a mattress topper above the futon.
You can choose from several neutral colors and upholstery materials, including faux leather and the standard velvety-like fabric, which leaves a lot of options for styling your interior.
Given the fact that the DHP is the cheapest option on my list, I was quite impressed with what it can offer. The futon is comfortable for both sitting and sleeping and will easily serve you for years to come.
- Regular sleeping. The foam padding will offer you sufficient cradling for and won’t make your muscles sore (assuming you mostly sleep on your back or stomach).
- Multifunctional spaces. The DHP can be used in various ways but it won’t eat up much space no matter which configuration you choose.
- Those who want a minimalist sofa. The DHP features a simple yet stylish design and can complete your interior.
- chrome metal legs can't be suitable for all rooms;
Best Luxurious Option - Ashley Furniture
- durable easy-lift steel frame;
- comes assembled;
- features a Queen-size innerspring mattress.
The next option in my review of quality sofa beds in Canada falls into the more expensive segment, but it’s literally worth every dollar spent. The Ashley Furniture sofa turns into a Queen-size sleeping spot in seconds, features durable materials, and comes in a nice design!
So, the sofa features an incredibly smooth pull-out mechanism. Just remove the seat cushions and unfold the steel frame — and you’ll get a sleeping spot in seconds.
The mattress has innerspring construction and can offer decent support for your spine and body. I tested it for three nights and have found that the mattress doesn’t create pressure points in your hips and shoulders while you’re sleeping on your side, which is surprising for an innerspring bed.
Also, good news for folks like me, who don’t get very enthusiastic about assembling the furniture: this sofa bed comes assembled. Just make sure that your doorways are at least 32” before you purchase the sofa; otherwise, it won’t fit through.
Another great thing is that the Ashley Furniture sofa bed is upholstered with durable faux leather that can withstand years of active use and is easy to maintain: just wipe it with a damp cloth if needed.
I’m aware that this sofa bed definitely isn’t a budget-friendly option, but if you’re not tight on money, I definitely recommend it. The sofa is incredibly sturdy, and the mattress can offer you sufficient support even if you plan to sleep on it daily.
- Those who aren’t on a budget. The Ashley Furniture sofa is definitely on the expensive side, but when you dig into the features, you’ll understand that the combo of quality materials is totally worth the price.
- Sleepers with back pain issues. The innerspring mattress offers a pretty good amount of support for your spinal curves, so it pretty much can be your lifesaver if you don’t have a space for a regular bed.
- Active use. The steel frame of the Ashley Furniture sofa combined with the durable PU-leather upholstery will serve you literally forever, assuming you won’t neglect simple care manipulations, such as checking the joints from time to time and vacuuming hard-to-reach crevices.
- some users dislike the seat cushions;
Best for Lounging — HomCom Sectional Sofa
- 2-piece construction for more lounging options and improved versatility in use;
- thick foam cushioning for increased comfort;
- quality wooden legs to ensure proper support and long-lasting performance.
The reason why the HomCom deserves to be among the best sofa beds in Canada is simple. This is a versatile model that can become both your favorite lounging spot and your comfy sleeping area. The HomCom sofa bed has a chaise lounge, which you can move to either left or right according to what setup would be more comfortable for you. Plus, it has tall round armrests and an adjustable backrest. Needless to say, movie nights will be as comfy as ever.
Another cool thing about this model is its quality. The HomCom uses extra legs, all of which are made of wood and can ensure reliable support. The maximum weight capacity of this sofa is 440 pounds, so it would work for heavier folks as well. Plus, it uses thick foam filling to deliver enough support for both sleeping and lounging.
- Those who appreciate versatility. This sofa bed allows for multiple adjustments, which makes it a highly functional piece of furniture.
- Everyday use. This model is sturdy and durable, so it should withstand regular use easily. Plus, you might also appreciate the dark upholstery, which is easy to clean.
- Users looking to upgrade their living room. The HomCom sofa bed is an excellent option not only for sleep but for lounging as well. It uses a generous amount of filling and has a comfy chaise lounge that you can move according to your needs.
- may not work for smaller living spaces;
- the plush upholstery fabric might start thinning out with time.
Different Types of Sofa Beds Explained
Do you know why the process of looking for the best sofa beds in Canada can be so difficult?
Because there are so many types of them!
Honestly, I’ve got my head spinning while preparing this review.
However, I managed to organize my findings and will gladly share them with you.
Modular Sofa Beds
Also known as sectional, this is probably the most common option on the market. The modular furniture consists of — you’ve guessed it — modules that arrange into a sofa or a couch. These modules can be one of three types:
- Standard. Seats, back sections, and armrests are examples of the standard modules. In order to use them, you need to assemble the furniture according to the instructions and they cannot be used in any other way.
- Reversible. This can be, for example, a chaise longue section in a corner sofa. You can mount this section to the left or the right side of the sofa frame according to your room’s layout.
- Freestanding. The typical example of a freestanding section is an ottoman, which you can use separately or even put it into another room.
Also, some sections can have a pull-out drawer to store your goods, such as bedding or large clothes, which helps you make your space more functional.
“Note that sectional furniture often looks bulkier than other types, so if your room space is too small, you might want to check other options.”
Pull-Out Sofa Beds
The second most common mechanism for sofa beds is a pull-out one. Pull-out sofas are usually smaller than sectionals and feature a sleeping area folded and hidden inside the seat section. Usually, they are quite easy to use. But watch out for a durable mechanism, as pulling out your bed frequently leads to sooner wear out.
“Most pull-out sofas come in the Full size, which is enough for a small or average adult couple.”
Futon sofas, also known as American futons, are innerspring or foam mattresses with a frame. They have a minimalistic design that can fit into any interior. Plus, they are pretty functional, as the frame typically has a multi-positional mechanism.
Note that futon sofas might not be a good pick for heavy users. The thing is, a futon mattress is usually 6 to 10 inches thick and it’s often made with fiber padding that may go flat under a larger weight.
These are very similar to the futon sofas, except that the mattress is built into the frame and you cannot remove or replace it (1). Some sleeper sofas are L-shaped and have a pull-out sectional to create a flat bed with enough space to accommodate two average adults. Others may not have the hinge: all you need to do is remove back pillows and voila — you’ve got a sleeping spot!
Other Things to Consider When Shopping for a Good Sofa Bed in Canada
Even though the weight capacity of the sofa bed depends on its size and manufacturer, general guidelines are the following:
- Twin: 250 lbs;
- Full: 500 lbs;
- Queen: 600 lbs;
- King: 650 lbs.
Be sure to check if your chosen model’s capacity is sufficient to support you and your partner if you have one. This way, you won’t be worrying about suddenly collapsing on the floor in the middle of the night.
The choice of the upholstery fabric for your sofa depends on the following factors:
- ease of maintenance;
- your lifestyle;
- your budget.
For example, if you plan to actively use your sofa in the living room, opt for durable fabrics like corduroy or microfibre blends (2). They will withstand active use for years and are much easier to maintain than chenille or natural velvet.
Those who have children or live with pets should give their preference to upholstery that is easy to clean. Natural or PU leather works best; however, you can choose cotton upholstery as a budget option or go for synthetic fabric with a weave that can resist pet claws.
You can find different sizes of sofa beds today but the most common options are Twin, Full, and Queen. King sofa beds aren’t very popular because their bulkiness somewhat defeats the idea of saving space.
So, a Twin sofa bed, also known as a chair bed, is a good pick for very limited spaces. They typically don’t feature a pull-out section and measure around 54” x 85” when unfolded.
If you plan to use your sofa bed for sleeping, the bare minimum for your comfort is a Full sofa bed. It will measure 72” wide and about 90” long when unfolded and can easily accommodate two adults, although it might feel a bit crowded.
Finally, if you need enough space for you and your partner — and if your room allows it — choose a Queen-size sofa. It measures around 84” x 90” and can fit three adults for sitting (3), which also makes them a good choice for friend gatherings.
Some of the sofa beds either require a mattress or come with one. Whatever the case is, the mattress is a very important aspect to consider, as it would affect your comfort during the night. Now, as you already know, the most common types of mattresses used for sofa beds are foam and innerspring models.
Foam mattresses can deliver excellent pressure relief and may help with optimal weight distribution. However, they also tend to trap body heat and might not work for hot sleepers. Keep in mind that most sofa beds are compatible with thinner mattresses (around 8 inches tall and less). For some users, that might not be enough in terms of proper support and cushioning (especially if you are a heavier side sleeper who sinks in a bit deeper into the mattress).
As for innerspring mattresses, they are great for those users who like bouncy, resilient support. Spring mattresses are also super breathable and don’t typically sleep hot. That being said, this mattress type has a shorter lifespan. And while this allows manufacturers to sell innerspring mattresses at lower prices, this would also mean that you might have to buy a new one sooner (when compared with other mattress types).
Armrests and Edges
This aspect is often overlooked by shoppers but can be a real game-changer for some. For example, sharp edges increase the risk of accidental bumps and bruises. It’s also easier to damage your bedding when the sofa bed doesn’t have smooth, soft edges. This factor might also be crucial for families with young kids. After all, if they play on the sofa, soft round edges would be much safer for them.
Because sofa beds are often used in smaller spaces, you might want to look for a model that offers extra storage. Many sofas have hidden storage space under the cushions, but there are also models that have shelves on the sides for little trinkets (like a remote, for example).
What is the weight capacity of a sofa bed when opened?
Most sofa beds have a weight capacity of around 500 lbs, which is enough to hold two average adults.
How much does a sofa bed weigh?
A sofa bed weighs around 350 lbs on average, with the heaviest parts being the frame and the lifting mechanism. Models with fewer parts and sections will weigh less.
Today I’ve reviewed the most popular sofa beds in Canada. They all have good supportive properties and can be used as an alternative to a regular mattress if you don’t have enough space.
My most favorite among them is the South Shore Furniture. It looks stylish and has a neutral color that may work for any interior. Plus, it resembles the feel of a regular bed the most closely and can support your spine in whatever position you sleep.
Now, what do you think about this model? What factors are the most important for you when shopping for a sofa bed? Share below!
- Alan Donahue (2018, March 16). Types of Sofa Bed Mechanisms. Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/13411901/types-of-sofa-bed-mechanisms
- Anna Cottrell (2019, July 31). Sofa fabrics: 6 tips for choosing the best upholstery for your furniture. Retrieved from https://www.realhomes.com/buying-guides/5-expert-tips-for-choosing-the-best-sofa-fabric
- Abe Abbas (2019, December 9). What to Know Before Buying a Sleeper Sofa. Retrieved from https://www.thespruce.com/before-buying-sleeper-sofa-1391221
Sofa beds Considered
Hours of Research