Best Air Fryers in Canada: Top 5 Picks for a Healthy Crunch
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Who doesn’t love French fries?
I bet most of us do. But how many times have you stopped yourself from ordering them because of that unhealthy oil they are cooked in?
Here’s the good news:
Those days are over! You can enjoy your favorite French fries or nuggets or whatever you want, but a healthier option. Read my review of the best air fryers in Canada and see for yourself!
A Quick Preview
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
Our Reviews of the Best Air Fryers in Canada
Best Overall — Cosori Air Fryer
- 11 pre-programmed modes for increased versatility in use with minimal effort;
- non-stick tray for easy cleaning;
- 5.8-Quart capacity to serve more people at once.
The Cosori proudly opens my review. This sleek-looking device has everything you might need and can become your indispensable kitchen helper.
Now, this is a rather large model, perfect for couples or big families. It can cook 2 to 5 portions simultaneously. But even though the Cosori requires more counter space, it doesn’t seem bulky. The brushed matte plastic exterior makes this model look stylish and sleek.
It gets even better:
The Cosori has a very sturdy construction. The removable basket is non-stick and dishwasher safe, which eliminates the need to soak and scrub. The handle is insulated and doesn’t get hot. There’s also button protection to prevent accidental removal during cooking.
Another thing that may impress you is the set of features this top-rated air fryer comes with. There are 11 pre-programmed settings for different foods and temperatures. This fryer cooks relatively fast, has a pre-heating function, and can keep your food warm before you take it out.
To sum up, it seems like the Cosori was built to impress. This model is packed with helpful features but offers user-friendly controls and larger batches of food. To me, that’s a perfect combination!
- easy to use and clean;
- fast cooking with the rapid air circulation technology;
- good value for money;
- very functional;
- good for large families.
- might be too large for smaller kitchens;
- some users report the non-stick coating may rub off with time and active use.
Second Best Choice — Innsky Air Fryer
- adjustable temperature and 11 preset programs for improved customizability;
- non-stick basket for fuss-free cleaning;
- Keep Warm feature for always fresh meals.
The next item that deserves to be among the best air fryers in Canada is the Innsky. This device combines everything you might need and a little extra. For instance, the preheat function, which would come in handy if you don’t want to waste your time cooking. I personally allow the air fryer to preheat while I prepare the ingredients. This can save a lot of time, especially when doing many things simultaneously (or when having unexpected guests over).
I also love the Keep Warm function the Innsky air fryer offers. Of course, it won’t keep your food fresh for hours. But if you need to wait a bit before serving and want everything to taste great, the Innsky can help you with that. For instance, I left my food in there for around 40 minutes using the Keep Warm function. And yes, it came out delicious and warm, as if it was cooked a minute ago.
- Various functions for every type of food and every desire;
- large enough to serve a whole family (2-5 people);
- adjustable temperature and pre-programmed cooking settings for impressive customizability;
- easy-to-clean non-stick basket;
- Delay Start, Preheat, and Keep Warm functions for improved convenience in use;
- durable stainless steel body;
- comes with a recipe book to offer extra cooking options.
- the basket locks with a plastic piece that may break easily if not handled carefully;
- the screws on the handle may become loose with time, so you might have to tighten them occasionally.
Best Family-Size Air Fryer — Kitcher
- 6.8-Quart capacity to fit enough food for a whole family;
- large LED screen for effortless control;
- 8 preset programs for increased convenience.
Looking for the best air fryer in Canada that could cook for your whole family and leave no one hungry? Then you might want to check this model by Kitcher. This is a 6-QT air fryer that can fit enough food for around 4-6 people. I used this fryer for a big family dinner and even had leftovers for the next day. This is also a great way to save more time when cooking. After all, the Kitcher can fit a whole chicken at once (and it comes out nice and juicy, by the way).
Another aspect that might win you over is the fact that the Kitcher cooks the food evenly despite the larger size. This air fryer properly redistributes the hot air, so the food turns out well-cooked every single time. I tested my Kitcher making large batches of fries, chicken, potatoes, and fish. I even tried baking some muffins. And every single time, the results were great (and fast, which is also important).
- large enough to be used for a whole family;
- cooks fast and evenly, even when there’s a large batch of food;
- looks sleek and not overly bulky despite its impressive capacity;
- easy to use and comes with preset cooking programs;
- non-stick basket for easy cleaning;
- smokeless operation;
- comes with a recipe book for improved versatility in use.
- the beeping sounds this machine makes when it’s done cooking are quite loud and may annoy some users;
- depending on what you're cooking, you might have to stir/flip halfway through the cooking process.
Best for Fast Cooking — Ultrean
- rapid heat circulation system for fast and even cooking;
- large basket to accommodate more food for more people;
- ergonomic design for a smaller footprint without sacrificing food capacity.
If you tend to be impatient like me, the Ultrean air fryer might be just the right pick for you. This little guy can deal with large amounts of food in almost no time, which makes it one of the best air fryers in Canada for when you’re in a hurry. That’s all thanks to the Ultrean’s special rapid heat circulation technology. Get this: I spent 15 minutes on fries (and they were cut pretty thick)!
Now, I also like how the screen and the controls are positioned in this air fryer. The bright LED screen is tilted. That’s why it’s super easy to use and to reach. I kept my Ultrean air fryer under my kitchen cabinets and didn’t have to move it around when cooking. I could easily access the touchscreen controls without repositioning my air fryer. And since I like my kitchen to be in order, keeping the Ultrean in one place was super helpful.
- cooks food fast without compromising quality and taste;
- quite large and can be used for a whole family;
- ergonomic design for a smaller footprint;
- easy to use and to clean;
- tilted touchscreen for increased convenience in use;
- Provides you with comprehensive controls;
- preset programs for effortless cooking.
- the non-stick coating on the basket may wear off with time;
- most of the parts are plastic;
- may be too big for smaller kitchens, so you might have to keep it somewhere in a cupboard.
Best Air Fryer Under $100 — Air Fryer by Utopia Kitchen
- compact design for a sleeker look and to save more kitchen space;
- includes a cookbook for increased convenience and easier use;
- impressive capacity for the money, great for value seekers.
The next item I want to share in my review of the best air fryers in Canada is the Utopia Kitchen. Now, it might not make your kitchen feel completely utopian, but it sure can help you step up your cooking game and enjoy oil-free dishes.
Being able to cook enough food for 2-3 people simultaneously, the Utopia Kitchen fryer would be great for both solo users and small families. This model is not that big, so you will certainly find a perfect place for it in your kitchen.
Here’s the best part:
This device offers you everything you need to take complete control of the functionality of your air fryer in a simple and comprehensive way. The Utopian kitchen air fryer allows for temperature adjustments and has a cooking timer. The controls may seem simplistic, but they do the job. This is a very user-friendly air fryer that does not require much effort on your part.
Overall, the Utopia Kitchen is a real steal. Being under $100, it offers decent functionality and shows great results with different foods. And don’t forget about the helpful bonus – a cooking book.
- easy to use;
- allows for temperature adjustments;
- compact, perfect for small families and solo users;
- cooks fast;
- automatically shuts off to prevent overcooking.
- not dishwasher safe;
- the food capacity might not be large enough for some users.
What Air Fryer Type Do You Need?
When searching for a suitable air fryer in Canada, it’s a good idea to understand the main types you can come across and how they work in general.
Now, there are two main kinds of modern air fryers you can find on the market:
- Tray air fryers (pull-out). These models have either a tray or a basket at the bottom where you should place your food. They are quite easy to disassemble and clean. However, these air fryers don’t allow users to check the cooking process (or stir) without pulling the tray out. This can be unsuitable for some recipes.
- Bowl air fryers. As you can guess from the name, these devices feature a wide bowl where you put the ingredients. The heating element is usually placed on top. This allows users to open the lid and check the progress without interrupting the cooking. It’s also very convenient if you need to stir the food in the process.
Typically, using an air fryer takes more time than cooking with oil. So, in order not to be disappointed after your purchase, read carefully about the cooking time your desired fryer offers. Plus, keep in mind that different types of foods require different amounts of time to cook.
Shop Like a Pro: Factors to Consider When Searching for an Air Fryer
Now, it doesn’t matter whether it’s your first, second, or fifth air fryer. If you want to find the right air fryer in Canada, you need to remember the main factors that make this kind of device suitable for your needs:
- Type. As you already know, there are 2 common types of air fryers. While the difference isn’t that extreme, you still need to figure out which one would be more comfortable for you to use.
- Size. To understand what size you will need, you should first make sure that you have enough counter space for your new device. Keep in mind that many bowl-styled fryers open upwards. They might not fit under your cabinets. Next, figure out the capacity you require. The majority of air fryers can cook around 4 portions at a time. But if you have a big family, you’ll probably need a bigger device. Keep in mind that you can get the best results when cooking one layer of food at a time, so some users may want to go with an even larger model.
- Controls and features. Simpler models have a rather basic design with just a couple of dials. They are great for those users who don’t usually get along with technology. However, such fryers don’t allow for much customization or extensive control over your dishes. More advanced models with digital controls oftentimes feature precise temperature settings, rotating bowls, and even pre-programmed cooking modes. And finally, auto shut-off is another essential feature that will save your food from overcooking. Keep in mind that each additional feature will affect the price.
- Power. Those models that work on lower wattage usually have a limited cooking temperature range, which can be an important aspect for many users. Therefore, it’s better to check the wattage before purchasing your new device. Typically, air fryers range from 1,200 to 2,000 watts.
- Ease of cleaning. Luckily, the majority of models come with dishwasher-safe trays or bowls. But since this isn’t always a case, keep in mind that you need to wash your fryer after each use to prevent the build-up.
- Safety. To start with, the cool-touch handles are a must. Also, look for models with a non-slip base — they will be easier to use and can protect you from unwanted spills.
- Budget. Typically, air fryers range from $50 to $500. As I’ve mentioned before, simpler dial-controlled fryers are cheaper but don’t allow for much customization. High-end options will affect your budget more but will also offer extra features. It’s up to you to decide how “stuffed” you want your air fryer to be.
- Noise and smoke. Both may occur when using an air fryer and both may annoy some users. Now, some noise is always possible due to the fan movement during cooking. Plus, an air fryer should notify users when it’s done cooking by making a beeping sound. Some smoke may also be released in the process, even when not using oil to fry the food. Taking these aspects into consideration may prepare shoppers for any surprises when cooking. Additionally, it is possible to pick a quieter and less smoky air fryer by reading other users’ reviews.
Even if you’re frying with air, some smoke may occur. Therefore, it’s better to make sure your kitchen can be easily ventilated, before making a purchase. You could also keep your new air fryer near the range hood.
How Do Air Fryers Work?
Air fryers work like the good old convection ovens. The fan inside makes the hot air circulate around the food, which means it is exposed to heat evenly. As a result, food made using an air fryer is usually crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside.
The effect is enhanced (when compared to convection ovens) because air fryers are rather small. The food is cooked in a small chamber, so it’s easier for the hot air to surround it from all sides and cook it evenly (and faster, for that matter).
Are Air Fryers Really Healthy?
The answer would depend on what users plan to put in there. Generally, air fryers are really healthy, but they can be made unhealthy if users cook with a lot of oil.
After all, oil is what creates that beautiful crust. For some users, a spoon of olive or sesame oil is enough. And that’s the healthy scenario. For others, more oil is better, and that’s not always very healthy.
So, air fryers are as healthy as users make them. Of course, this cooking method is significantly better than deep frying. But users need to remember that the level of “healthy” would depend on what they put into their air fryer.
Are Air Fryers Worth it?
There have been lots of discussions around air fryers recently, mentioning that air fryers are not needed. We need to address several facts here. First of all, air fryers are not arguably pricey and the cost of running them would turn out to be very cheap at the end of the year, as well. So, that is out of the way, since this is an investment in your health.
Secondly, some people say that if air fryers still use oil, then there is no difference between them and pain frying or deep frying. However, that is not 100% true. Air fryers can use oil if you want to use oil. I cannot imagine how someone would deep fry potatoes with olive oil or sesame oil, but in an air fryer, you have the option of adding some healthy vegetable oil to receive that beautiful and shiny crunch. That is again your choice, and you can choose not to add any oil to the dish, so this argument is out of the way as well. Some people mention that it takes longer for you to cook with an air fryer but we all know that fast does not mean better.
Can You Cook Anything in an Air Fryer?
Many users believe that they can cook pretty much anything in an air fryer. But that’s not entirely true.
Air fryers are ideal for chicken, beef, fish, and vegetables. Users can also make a healthier version of French fries in their air fryer. This cooking method is also suited for frozen foods (such as premade fries or frozen chicken). Frozen pastries can also be cooked easily and fast using an air fryer.
Now, wet batter is not ideal for air fryers. Leafy greens may not be a good idea either, as they are super lightweight and can end up spinning around by the fan instead of being cooked evenly. Air fryers aren’t great for bacon, unfortunately, as the fan can spray the fat all around the cooking chamber. This can make it difficult to clean. Soggy vegetables aren’t that great for air fryers either, as this cooking method does better with dry foods.
How lucky are we to be able to enjoy that perfect crunch without the unhealthy oils?
However, perfect results can be achieved if shoppers pick the right model to use. And to do that, users need to pay attention to the wattage (power) of the air fryers, their capacity, and the pre-set features that can make cooking much easier. It also wouldn’t hurt to read other users’ reviews to see how each air fryer performs in real life.
Now, if you’re looking for suggestions, my champion is the Cosori Air Fryer. This model has everything you might need and even a bit more. Multiple frying functions, sleek design, and simple operation will surely win you over.
So, are you ready to make a purchase? Or do you want to opt for some other model? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Food Processors Considered
Hours of Research