Memory Foam vs. Hybrid Mattresses
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Memory foam and hybrid mattresses both have excellent qualities. Thus, buyers might find themselves confused about which one is best for them. So, should you get a hybrid or a memory foam mattress? In this brief memory foam vs. hybrid mattress comparison, you’ll find the pros and cons of each type of mattress. By the end of this article, you should reach a decision based on your preferences.
How to Choose the Right Mattress
Whether you choose a hybrid or memory foam mattress, keep these points in mind:
- A memory foam mattress relieves pressure from the heavy points in your body, such as your hips, thighs, and shoulders. Thus, you can sleep safely without your inner organs collapsing into each other. Plus, it promotes bone health when you sleep in a supportive position.
- Hybrid mattresses combine the best features of innerspring and memory foam mattresses. Thus, they provide a moderate firmness level without the sinking feeling of memory foam. Furthermore, air travels freely inside the bed and helps you breathe to regulate your sleep better.
- You can enhance or tone down the features of each type of mattress by using a mattress topper. A mattress topper can either soften a firm mattress or offer additional firmness to a softer one. So, don’t neglect additional bedding accessories.
Why Choose Memory Foam Mattresses?
Memory foam mattresses “remember” your body’s shape. When you sleep on one, it practically absorbs your weight. Thus, it feels as though you’re sleeping inside the mattress rather than on top of it. Due to that suction effect, this mattress is best for side sleepers. It distributes your weight, especially around your hips and thighs. As a result, you can achieve better support regardless of your weight.
Furthermore, memory foam mattresses in Canada are generally more affordable than hybrid mattresses. Regardless of your budget, you can still find a high-quality memory foam mattress that gives you a good night’s sleep.
- Better motion isolation
- Great pressure distribution
- Low maintenance
- Poor temperature control
- More prone to sagging
Why Choose Hybrid Mattresses?
If you prefer sleeping on your back, then a hybrid mattress is probably the best choice for you. In general, hybrid mattresses are firmer than memory foam mattresses. This is due, in part, to the layer of innerspring coils inside. Thus, your back will receive the extra support it needs while you sleep. As a result, hybrid mattresses are much better for individuals who frequently experience lower back pain (1).
The best hybrid mattresses in Canada provide better air circulation than memory foam ones. Whereas a memory foam mattress will absorb your body heat, hybrid mattresses provide better air circulation. Thus, you won’t wake up in the morning drenched in your own sweat. Therefore, if you run hot while you sleep, a hybrid mattress is the best choice for you.
- Comfortable for heavier people
- Excellent air circulation
- Great for lower back pain
- A little more expensive than memory foam
- Poor motion transfer
Are hybrid or memory foam mattresses more affordable?
A hybrid mattress is the best of the two from a budget standpoint. If you’re going to invest in a bed, it should last for a decade or longer. Some people even pass down their used mattresses to their children. In other words, it’s a big investment, and it should pay for itself for years to come.
Do hybrid or memory foam mattresses last longer?
In general, hybrid mattresses last longer than memory foam mattresses. This is because memory foam is easily cracked or torn. Remember that memory foam curves to the shape of your body. If you sleep in the same position every night, the memory foam may begin to lose its shape over time. Thus, the mattress will become permanently indented, depriving you of its supportive benefits. Memory foam mattresses last eight to ten years, whereas hybrid mattresses can last ten to twelve years.
Memory foam mattresses are best for couples as they provide the most absorption. So, if your partner tends to move while sleeping, they won’t disturb your sleep. On the other hand, hybrid mattresses provide the best support for back and stomach sleepers. As a result, you can easily switch sleep positions without disturbance.
Treat your mattress like fitness equipment because you can use it to combat sleep apnea, insomnia, and restless leg syndrome. In conclusion, sleeping is healing, so consider any medical conditions you might have. The mattress you choose can make or break your health.
So, memory foam vs. hybrid mattresses—which will you choose? Let us know in the comments below.
- Barbara Brody (February 06, 2021). Best Mattress for Lower Back Pain. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/best-mattress-for-lower-back-pain
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted