This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
If you stumbled upon this page, chances are that your mattress isn’t comfortable enough for you and you’re looking for ways to make it better.
Also, you probably have a headache from browsing endless web pages, trying to find the right mattress topper.
Luckily, I can help you with the latter! Check out my latest reviews of the best mattress toppers in Canada and just choose the model that will appeal to you the most!
A Quick Preview
The Ghostbed topper is the best overall mattress topper in this review because of its comfortable cradling feel and adaptive foam which adapted to my body frame during testing. This mattress topper is my pick if you’re suffering from back pain. The adaptive foam helped distribute my weight evenly across the bed and helped with my back pain symptoms.
I also liked that the bed’s fitted sheets help keep the topper on top of the mattress.
In addition, this topper impressively conformed to my body during testing, and the hug was apparent, so my joints and bones felt cradled. I also liked how well this topper provided pain relief, and the zoning system helps make this topper the best option for sleepers with back pain.
Based on Our Tests
During the test, I liked that the Memory Foam Mattress Topper has a fitted sheet cover that keeps the topper in place. It also gives great body support as well as comfort.
- People with bad backs. The Ghostbed mattres topper aids tension distribution and may reduce its build-up in painful sections of the back, providing pain alleviation.
- Restless or combo sleepers. This model comes with a cover that works like a fitted sheet. Therefore, it can keep the topper in place even if the sleeper tosses and turns a lot.
- Allergy-prone individuals. The Ghostbed cover is removable, making it super easy to clean. Naturally, this can help sleepers prevent allergen build-up.
- might not be thick and hugging enough for people with sensitive joints;
- some initial off-gassing is possible (will likely dissipate within 24 hours).
- zoned design to achieve unparalleled tension redistribution and instant relaxation;
- waterproof cover to protect both the topper and the mattress (and to increase their lifespan);
- cooling gel foam to prevent overheating while offering a gentle hug.
The Puffy topper came in a close second in my review. This mattress topper felt thick and soft during testing and also offers cooling features that makes it a good buy for sleepers who want an extra layer of comfort. I noticed that the topper offered excellent pressure relief when I lay on it. The pressure relief capabilities are thanks to the mattress’ zoned design which I felt impressively eased the tension in my joints.
I liked that the bed’s cover was waterproof and I could easier wipe away liquid and moisture from the surface. From my experience, the puffy topper makes sleep more pleasant thanks to the topper’s plush fabric.
In addition, I found the cooling gel foam to be effective and I enjoyed how cool the mattress topper felt.
Overall, I liked this mattress topper’s pressure-relieving properties and the cool feel makes this topper an excellent choice for hot sleepers.
Based on Our Tests
I found this Puffy topper a perfect fit when I tested it, the elastic band takes in beds of different sizes. The cooling gel effect on it gives me a better night's sleep.
- Those who hate sleeping hot. The Puffy topper is infused with cooling gel. It also has a breathable cotton cover that is pleasantly cool to the touch. All things considered, this mattress topper isn’t likely to sleep hot (even if you experience more sinkage).
- Active, restless, or combination sleepers. This model works like a fitted sheet. It has a sturdy elastic band and deep pockets to accommodate different mattresses. Therefore, the GhostBed topper can guarantee a secure fit. It won’t shift or slide off even when used by restless sleepers.
- Users who like snacking in bed. Surprisingly, this mattress topper comes with a waterproof cover. It will protect the mattress and the topper even if you enjoy regular breakfasts in bed.
- might not be firm enough to offer decent support levels for strict stomach sleepers;
- has weak edges (like most memory foam models), which means a bit less sleeping space.
- Perfect firmness for heavy sleepers while also offering generous cushion.
- Dense enough for use to suit a variety of needs.
- The low-maintenance cover enhances thermoregulation for sleepers.
In my opinion, the Tempur-Pedic mattress topper is perfect for heavy sleepers because of how firm it feels. Even though this topper is denser than the other toppers on this list, I liked that it felt plush and comfy to lie on. The topper’s firmness level helped align my body while making me feel comfortable.
Furthermore, I liked how well this topper conformed to the bed. I didn’t have to worry about the mattress topper falling off the bed. I liked that this topper was also easy to clean and maintain.
In my opinion, heavy sleepers will love this mattress’ firmness and overall comfort.
Based on Our Tests
My tests showed that the tempur-pedic has a firmness that can assure sleepers of durability. It was made dense enough to give extra weight support for heavy sleepers.
- Heavy sleepers. Good firmness suits the adaptive needs of weighty individuals while ensuring durability.
- Hot sleepers. The thermoregulation is perfect for hot sleepers who don’t mind the firmness level.
- Individuals that move around. The firmness of this mattress topper offers the kind of support and cushion suitable for it to improvise an actual mattress.
- It is not the best option for side sleepers as the firmness won’t offer enough joint comfort.
- Pricier than other mattress toppers on this list.
The Linenspa mattress topper is the best budget option in this review. Despite the cheap price point, this topper felt high-quality during testing, and it felt just as durable and plush as other toppers I tested.
Linenspa offers two thickness levels available, and when I tested this topper on a firm mattress, it cushioned the surface. So, if you own a mattress that feels too firm, this topper will help improve the plushness and make the bed feel more comfortable. Furthermore, I discovered that the gel-infused foam made this topper stay cool. In my expert opinion, the Linenspa topper is the best option if you’re looking for an affordable, soft and cool mattress topper.
Based on Our Tests
I always look forward to the comfy feel it gives my back. During the test, I found that this mattress provides great support for the shoulders and knees. I like the combination of it being firm and soft at the same time.
- Hot sleepers. The cooling gel makes the Linenspa more adaptive to changes in your body temperature and helps you sleep cooler.
- People with back pain issues. The Linenspa is very cradling and can relieve the pressure points in your hips, shoulders, and lower back while maintaining proper spine alignment.
- Couples. Even a thinner option of this topper has pretty low motion transfer and can absorb motion so that you and your partner won’t wake each other up.
- might seem too plush to heavier sleepers;
- the topper comes without a cover, which means the foam is exposed and might be prone to tearing if not handled carefully (it might be a good idea to invest in a quality cover for this topper).
- gel-infused memory foam for close conforming without sleeping hot;
- quilted fiberfill layer for extra cushioning;
- removable, machine-washable cover for fuss-free maintenance.
The final product I’ll be reviewing is the Sleep Innovation mattress topper. This topper is dual-layered, so it’s no surprise that I felt excellent pressure relief once I tested it. With the cooling features and premium construction, it’s no surprise that the Sleep Innovation topper is my choice for the best topper with cool pressure relief.
I also found this topper easy to maintain thanks to the removable, machine-washable cover. I also liked how the quilted fiberfill layer felt, and it provided a significant hug that relieved the pressure points around my joints.
Based on Our Tests
I was impressed at the cooling effect it has when I lay on it, the gel in the form keeps the heat out of the environment. My review further showed a topper that is adept at targeted tension relief.
- Hot sleepers. The gel particles in the foam work to draw the heat away from the body and can help create a temperature-neutral sleeping environment.
- Users seeking pressure relief. The combination of conforming foam and a cradling Pillowtop will guarantee a gentle hug and can aid fast relaxation.
- Active sleepers. If you tend to switch positions often during the night and worry about your mattress topper shifting in the process, the Sleep Innovations can help you forget about this issue. The topper has convenient pockets that would fit onto your mattress securely and prevent it from sliding off during the night.
- the sizing can be a bit off, so it’s best to check the dimensions before ordering to make sure the topper will fit your mattress;
- some initial off-gassing is possible upon arrival, so if you are sensitive to odors, you probably won’t be able to start using this topper right away.
Why You Should Trust Me
With over three years of testing experience, I have reviewed various mattress toppers. I extensively reviewed each product for about a week to get a better feel of the topper and came up with an article detailing all the unique features. Here are the most important features I looked at while testing the best mattress toppers in Canada.
- Attachment level
During my mattress topper review, I test how well the topper stays on the bed. I pay attention to the features that make the topper stick to the mattress. For instance, some toppers have straps for stronger attachment. I assess how well the topper stays in place after continuous tossing, turning, and other random movements.
I test the material used to make the topper to determine how it fits different sleepers. In addition, I review how the topper conforms to the body and the thermoregulation properties of the mattress topper.
Thickness is another category I closely test. The topper's thickness generally determines the level of firmness and sinkage you should expect. I test the toppers on beds with different firmness levels for better insight. Moreover, during my review, I take note of the topper's feel, support, and motion isolation.
Here’s more about how we test products!
How Can You Benefit from Using a Mattress Topper?
You can benefit from using a mattress topper in several ways. Mattress toppers provide an extra layer that goes over a mattress. This extra layer can:
1. Increase the mattress’ lifespan
A mattress topper acts as a protective layer which safeguards the mattress from natural wear and tear. Mattress toppers also prevent dust and dirt from getting into the bed, allowing the mattress to stay in top condition. So, if you want to make your mattress last longer, consider applying a mattress topper. “I recommend purchasing a topper with a washable cover for easier maintenance.”
2. Improve sleeping comfort
Mattress toppers can make your mattress feel more comfortable. For example, the Linenspa topper provides an extra cushion to make a firm mattress feel softer. Some other toppers, like Sleep Innovations’, can also add a cooler layer to the bed that will help hot sleepers sleep more comfortably.
3. Add extra properties
Mattress toppers add extra properties that can enhance your overall sleeping comfort. For instance, the Puffy topper provides additional pressure relief that may not be available in your mattress. So, instead of buying a new mattress, you can simply purchase a high-quality topper to add more features to your bed. This option is both inexpensive and effective.
If you rent a furnished apartment or live in a dorm, you can use a thin mattress topper as a protective layer on top of your bed. It will prevent you from inhaling dust and mold particles that might have collected inside the mattress while it had been used by other people.
Things That Make a Great Mattress Topper
Now, when it comes to bedding items, there’s no ultimate pick for everyone. That’s why you should rely on your preferences in the first place.
However, some considerations are worthy of your attention regardless of what topper you want. I will gladly share them with you so that you can make a balanced decision.
Most highly rated memory foam toppers in Canada are made of memory foam. This material is well known for its cradling properties, so it can easily make your bed more comfortable.
I recommend that you choose gel-infused or copper-infused foam, which has higher thermal conductivity than traditional foam, so it will dissipate your body heat faster and prevent overheating.
Note that memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material, meaning it will feel more rigid in a colder environment and will soften a bit under your body, unlike polyurethane foam, which is more responsive and less temperature-sensitive (1).
Polyfoam is the second most common material for mattress toppers. It has an open-cell structure and a bouncier feel, so such toppers can maintain their shape for a longer time.
A polyfoam mattress pad might be a good pick for individuals with limited mobility because it can offer a good level of conforming without limiting movements.
Latex mattress toppers are an excellent choice for those who want close conforming without that quicksand sensation memory foam often has. Latex is quite resilient but does a great job of reducing tension nonetheless. This material is also more resistant to dust mites and bacteria growth. Therefore, it could be an excellent option for allergy sufferers.
At the same time, shoppers need to remember that latex mattress toppers can be quite pricey.
For an extra-plush, luxurious feel, users often choose down or feather mattress toppers. This type can’t deliver that much support or tension redistribution. Instead, down toppers usually work to add a layer of plush cradling. This option is ideal for those with tender joints or sharp pressure points.
That being said, down and feather mattress toppers tend to flatten with time. That’s why they require regular fluffing, which can mean too much of an effort for some users.
It’s also worth mentioning that down toppers can retain moisture and thus, attract dust mites. Therefore, this type is not ideal for allergy-prone sleepers.
Wool mattress toppers are becoming more popular these days thanks to their thermoregulating properties. Natural wool can keep sleepers warm during colder months and cool during summer. Such a topper can also make one’s mattress feel softer.
On the other hand, wool toppers aren’t that great when it comes to pressure relief. They can also be finicky to clean.
The most affordable topper filling type is fiberfill. Made with polyester fibers, such mattress toppers can be a good temporary solution for budget shoppers. They can provide an extra layer of cushioning and make one’s mattress softer.
However, fiberfill toppers aren’t that durable. They also aren’t likely to help with tension alleviation.
Nobody likes readjusting their topper every morning. That’s why models that can offer a secure fit are always a better choice, especially for active or restless sleepers.
In this case, shoppers may want to consider mattress toppers that either work like a fitted sheet or have elastic straps on all 4 corners. Adjustable straps would be especially great, as they can work for different mattress thicknesses.
Even if the topper can make one’s mattress feel more comfortable, all of this can be in vain if that topper sleeps hot.
Now, the most common cooling options include gel-infused memory foam, open-cell foam (which is more breathable), latex, and wool.
As for natural down, it is pretty breathable but can still sleep hot.
The thickness of your mattress topper matters for your comfort too. In particular, it can define how well the topper will mask the imperfections of your mattress. The most popular thickness is 2-3 inches. If you need to significantly alter the feel, go for thicker options. If you only want to tweak the comfort level of your bed, a thinner mattress pad should do fine.
Firmness is a highly subjective characteristic, yet its perception may depend on your preferred sleeping style.
Side sleepers, for example, tend to sink deeper into the material and form pressure points in their hips and shoulders. So, if you’re looking for a mattress pad suitable for side sleeping, you need a soft or medium model that can properly cradle these pressure points.
Stomach sleepers have the weakest points in their lumbar spine, so they need a firmer mattress topper to prevent an awkward curve in this area.
The supine position produces the least amount of pressure on the spine (2), so if you’re a back sleeper, you might need a mattress pad that will properly support natural spine curves. The medium firmness works best in this case: it can offer a balanced hug and prevent stiffness in the shoulder blades and the lower back.
Motion transfer is an essential aspect for many couples, especially if one of them is a restless sleeper. A good motion-isolating topper would also come in handy for partners who have different schedules. This way, they won’t disturb each other when getting in and out of bed.
Now, memory foam performs the best when it comes to motion isolation. A latex mattress topper may also suffice if it’s not very firm. As for down toppers, they are not likely to counteract an overly bouncy mattress (even though down is heavenly soft).
Many mattress toppers come without covers, which means sleepers can wash the sheet that they place on top. However, if the topper arrives with a cover, a removable one would be preferable. After all, the topper is easier to clean when sleepers can simply take the cover off and throw it into the washing machine.
Additionally, shoppers might want to pay attention to the cover material. Natural, breathable fabrics are more suited for hot sleepers. They include cotton, Tencel, bamboo, linen, and more. As for synthetic fabrics and blends, they would work better for someone who doesn’t typically overheat during sleep.
Mattress toppers with an egg-crate design typically feel somewhat softer than solid slabs of foam. Just something to keep in mind
How long does a mattress topper last?
An average mattress topper lasts 3 to 5 years. A cheaper one may last a year or two.
How long to air out a memory foam mattress topper?
24-48 hours is the average recommended time to air out a memory foam mattress topper. Low-quality or infused foams may take 72 or even more hours before the odor dissipates.
How to dispose of your old foam mattress topper?
To dispose of a foam mattress topper, you can drop it off at a local recycling center, donate it to a local charity, or repurpose it, for example, by making a bed for your pet.
What is the difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper?
A mattress pad is a thin layer (typically with a fitted design) used to add some comfort without altering the feel of a mattress, while a mattress topper is a thicker layer of cushioning that can usually change how your mattress feels (e.g. make it softer or firmer).
While a mattress topper is not a panacea for your old bed, a good one can certainly change the situation for the better. After all, if you pick a suitable topper, you can alter the way your mattress feels, add more support, or give yourself extra cushioning.
If I was to recommend the best mattress topper, the Ghostbed topper would be my first pick. I liked the feel of this topper and I felt most comfortable on this topper. Of course, this doesn’t mean the other toppers in this review aren’t comfortable, I just found the adaptive foam on the Ghostbed mattress to be more relaxing.
How about you? Which model managed to catch your eye? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
- What Is Memory Foam? (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.sleep.org/articles/what-is-memory-foam/
- UCLA Ergonomics (n.d.) Sleeping Posture. Retrieved from https://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/backsafety/sleeping-posture
Mattress Toppers Considered
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted