This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
If you stumbled upon this page, chances are that your mattress isn’t comfortable enough for you and you’re looking for ways to make it better.
Also, you probably have a headache from browsing endless web pages, trying to find the right mattress topper.
Luckily, I can help you with the latter! Check out my latest reviews of the best mattress toppers in Canada and just choose the model that will appeal to you the most!
A Quick Preview
||Check Current Price|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
||Check Current Price on Amazon|
Our Reviews of 5 Best Mattress Toppers in Canada
Best Overall - Editor’s Choice — Memory Foam Mattress Topper by GhostBed
- zoned design to achieve unparalleled tension redistribution and instant relaxation;
- waterproof cover to protect both the topper and the mattress (and to increase their lifespan);
- cooling gel foam to prevent overheating while offering a gentle hug.
Being among the best mattress toppers in Canada, this model by GhostBed can win countless users over thanks to its smart construction. I mean, even I was a bit skeptical about its zoned support system. But only after one night, I fell in love with the Ghostbed mattress topper. It works its magic by offering just the right amount of support for different body parts. It hugs what needs pressure relief and supports the body in a neutral alignment. As a result, the GhostBed topper helped me sleep tension-free and wake up perfectly rested.
- Those who hate sleeping hot. The GhostBed topper is infused with cooling gel. It also has a breathable cotton cover that is pleasantly cool to the touch. All things considered, this mattress topper isn’t likely to sleep hot (even if you experience more sinkage).
- Active, restless, or combination sleepers. This model works like a fitted sheet. It has a sturdy elastic band and deep pockets to accommodate different mattresses. Therefore, the GhostBed topper can guarantee a secure fit. It won’t shift or slide off even when used by restless sleepers.
- Users who like snacking in bed. Surprisingly, this mattress topper comes with a waterproof cover. It will protect the mattress and the topper even if you enjoy regular breakfasts in bed.
- might not be firm enough to offer decent support levels for strict stomach sleepers;
- has weak edges (like most memory foam models), which means a bit less sleeping space.
Second Best Mattress Topper - Tempur-Pedic
- removable, machine-washable cover for effortless maintenance;
- medium-firm feel to deliver optimal support and aid proper weight distribution;
- close conforming for effective pressure relief.
The Tempur-Pedic deserves to be among the best mattress toppers in Canada for many reasons, and I would like to share them with you. And allow me to start with my favorite feature - the optimal fitness level.
This mattress topper has a medium-firm feel. It’s one of the most popular options that can satisfy a wide range of sleepers. However, its close-to-universal comfort is not the only thing that makes Tempur-Pedic a great mattress topper. Such a firmness level (combined with a 3-inch thickness) allows this model to achieve a nice balance between support and cradling. The topper helps distribute the weight of the sleeper and minimizes tension build-up.
Additionally, the Tempur-Pedic delivers close conforming and that classic memory foam feel. The material of the topper can adapt to the curves of one’s body by hugging the heavier parts and filling in the gaps. As a result, you can potentially benefit from fast relaxation and pressure relief.
To tell the truth, I did not expect Tempur-Pedic to impress me that much given its famous (and sometimes overused) name. Nonetheless, I felt heavenly comfortable sleeping on this mattress topper, and I’m sure it can become a real savior for some users.
- Heavier users. This model is quite thick, dense, and has a medium-firm feel. Therefore, it should be enough to effectively accommodate even heavier weights.
- Partnered sleep. The Tempur-Pedic mattress topper has a slow response to applied pressure. As a result, it absorbs shock from motion quite well and can help you and your partner enjoy undisturbed sleep.
- Owners of old mattresses. If your mattress has dents in it or doesn’t feel that supportive anymore, the Tempur-Pedic is thick and dense enough to alter the way it feels.
- expensive, may seem overpriced to some users;
- might sleep hot, especially if you are prone to overheating during the night;
- may not be firm enough for strict stomach sleepers.
Best Cheap Option — Linenspa
- offers a good give while maintaining a cool feel;
- two thicknesses available;
- can alter the feel of a firm mattress.
Being among the best toppers in Canada, the Linenspa can alter the feel of your mattress and has a chance of improving your sleep. This gel-infused foam topper has a plush feel with a significant give and would gently cradle your body without making you sweat. Offering a decent sinkage, this model would be great for those trying to make their mattress feel softer. And that’s not the only great feature about this topper.
- Hot sleepers. The cooling gel makes the Linenspa more adaptive to changes in your body temperature and helps you sleep cooler.
- People with back pain issues. The Linenspa is very cradling and can relieve the pressure points in your hips, shoulders, and lower back while maintaining proper spine alignment.
- Couples. Even a thinner option of this topper has pretty low motion transfer and can absorb motion so that you and your partner won’t wake each other up.
- might seem too plush to heavier sleepers;
- the topper comes without a cover, which means the foam is exposed and might be prone to tearing if not handled carefully (it might be a good idea to invest in a quality cover for this topper).
Best for Cool Pressure Relief - Sleep Innovations
- gel-infused memory foam for close conforming without sleeping hot;
- quilted fiberfill layer for extra cushioning;
- removable, machine-washable cover for fuss-free maintenance.
Another item I would like to mention in my review of the best mattress toppers in Canada is this thick, dual-layered topper by Sleep Innovations. It uses a winning combination of foam and a Pillowtop-like layer to guarantee effective pressure relief. Plus, the foam is infused with gel, which means it won’t make you sleep hot.
Now, the Pillowtop layer uses fiberfill. It is 4 inches thick and works to hug the protruding body parts gently. Underneath, you will find 4 inches of gel memory foam. It is conforming and gently hugs the pressure points, allowing for fast relaxation and tension release. Additionally, it is quite dense and could offer you extra support.
This topper has a removable, washable cover. It means you can keep your bed fresh without that much effort. Another cool thing about this topper is that it has rather deep, stretchy pockets. They allow the topper to fit snugly onto the mattress and remain in place all through the night.
Frankly, I did not expect Sleep Innovations to help me sleep so well. It is a quality topper that aids pressure relief and creates optimal conditions for instant relaxation.
- Hot sleepers. The gel particles in the foam work to draw the heat away from the body and can help create a temperature-neutral sleeping environment.
- Users seeking pressure relief. The combination of conforming foam and a cradling Pillowtop will guarantee a gentle hug and can aid fast relaxation.
- Active sleepers. If you tend to switch positions often during the night and worry about your mattress topper shifting in the process, the Sleep Innovations can help you forget about this issue. The topper has convenient pockets that would fit onto your mattress securely and prevent it from sliding off during the night.
- the sizing can be a bit off, so it’s best to check the dimensions before ordering to make sure the topper will fit your mattress;
- some initial off-gassing is possible upon arrival, so if you are sensitive to odors, you probably won’t be able to start using this topper right away.
Best for Old Mattresses - LUCID
- thick enough to alter the feel of a mattress;
- resilient to mold thanks to charcoal infusion;
- offers a good hug for large sleepers.
Most people purchase mattress pads for altering the feel of their mattress, and I couldn’t ignore that when reviewing the best mattress toppers in Canada. So, meet the LUCID, a 4-inch thick topper that can easily upgrade the feel of even the ancient mattress, making it much more comfortable for sleeping.
The LUCID uses charcoal-infused memory foam, which is found to be quite durable and resilient to mold and dust mites. So, it can serve as a hygienic layer between your body and the old mattress, thus preventing you from inhaling the dust particles.
Also, the LUCID is really soft, which is sort of the calling card of this brand. This mattress pad ensures great pressure relief and adjusts to your natural spine curves, thus preventing back pain and stiffness. Plus, it can help you mask uneven spots if your mattress is old.
Finally, the hug that this mattress topper can offer can reduce the time you spend tossing and turning. When I was testing this pad, I fell asleep significantly faster than on other models, and my wife said that I also switched positions less frequently.
I think that the LUCID topper can upgrade even the oldest mattress and soothe even the most sensitive sleeper — even those more sensitive than my wife. So, if this seems like what you need, I recommend you choose the LUCID.
- Owners of old beds. The thickness of the LUCID topper can make your mattress feel like new — at least for a little while — and bring sound sleep back into your life.
- Restless sleepers and their partners. The LUCID has great motion absorption, so even if your bedmate constantly moves, you’ll barely feel anything.
- Those who want to make their bed higher. Place the topper on your mattress, and it will add as many as 4 inches to the height of your bed. If that’s what you need to get in and out of bed comfortably, go for this model.
- has a rather plush feel and may not seem supportive enough to stomach sleepers or heavier folks;
- may sleep warm due to its generous hug.
How Can You Benefit from Using a Mattress Topper?
Now, most users buy a topper to alter the feel of their current mattress, which appears to be not perfect for their needs. The average mattress topper costs about CDN$100-150, which is way cheaper than replacing the whole bed, so it’s totally understandable.
But this is not the only reason why mattress toppers are so popular.
You can benefit from this bedding item in the following cases:
- You suffer from back pain. A mattress topper can mask uneven spots on an old mattress and give more cradling for your spine curves.
- You sleep hot. Most of the modern mattress toppers are made of gel-infused foams that trap less heat without sacrificing comfort.
- You share the bed with a restless sleeper. Thicker mattress toppers have higher motion absorption and make it easier for you to find a comfy position, so you won’t toss and turn a lot.
- You have a physically demanding lifestyle. Some brands make their mattress toppers using phase-change materials that were initially invented for athletes. These materials — Celliant fabric and copper-infused foam, in particular — can convert some amount of body heat into infrared energy, thus helping you heal and recover faster.
“If you rent a furnished apartment or live in a dorm, you can use a thin mattress topper as a protective layer on top of your bed. It will prevent you from inhaling dust and mold particles that might have collected inside the mattress while it had been used by other people.”
Things That Make a Great Mattress Topper
Now, when it comes to bedding items, there’s no ultimate pick for everyone. That’s why you should rely on your preferences in the first place.
However, some considerations are worthy of your attention regardless of what topper you want. I will gladly share them with you so that you can make a balanced decision.
Most highly rated memory foam toppers in Canada are made of memory foam. This material is well known for its cradling properties, so it can easily make your bed more comfortable.
I recommend that you choose gel-infused or copper-infused foam, which has higher thermal conductivity than traditional foam, so it will dissipate your body heat faster and prevent overheating.
“Note that memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material, meaning it will feel more rigid in a colder environment and will soften a bit under your body, unlike polyurethane foam, which is more responsive and less temperature-sensitive (1).”
Polyfoam is the second most common material for mattress toppers. It has an open-cell structure and a bouncier feel, so such toppers can maintain their shape for a longer time.
A polyfoam mattress pad might be a good pick for individuals with limited mobility because it can offer a good level of conforming without limiting movements.
Latex mattress toppers are an excellent choice for those who want close conforming without that quicksand sensation memory foam often has. Latex is quite resilient but does a great job of reducing tension nonetheless. This material is also more resistant to dust mites and bacteria growth. Therefore, it could be an excellent option for allergy sufferers.
At the same time, shoppers need to remember that latex mattress toppers can be quite pricey.
For an extra-plush, luxurious feel, users often choose down or feather mattress toppers. This type can’t deliver that much support or tension redistribution. Instead, down toppers usually work to add a layer of plush cradling. This option is ideal for those with tender joints or sharp pressure points.
That being said, down and feather mattress toppers tend to flatten with time. That’s why they require regular fluffing, which can mean too much of an effort for some users.
It’s also worth mentioning that down toppers can retain moisture and thus, attract dust mites. Therefore, this type is not ideal for allergy-prone sleepers.
Wool mattress toppers are becoming more popular these days thanks to their thermoregulating properties. Natural wool can keep sleepers warm during colder months and cool during summer. Such a topper can also make one’s mattress feel softer.
On the other hand, wool toppers aren’t that great when it comes to pressure relief. They can also be finicky to clean.
The most affordable topper filling type is fiberfill. Made with polyester fibers, such mattress toppers can be a good temporary solution for budget shoppers. They can provide an extra layer of cushioning and make one’s mattress softer.
However, fiberfill toppers aren’t that durable. They also aren’t likely to help with tension alleviation.
Nobody likes readjusting their topper every morning. That’s why models that can offer a secure fit are always a better choice, especially for active or restless sleepers.
In this case, shoppers may want to consider mattress toppers that either work like a fitted sheet or have elastic straps on all 4 corners. Adjustable straps would be especially great, as they can work for different mattress thicknesses.
Even if the topper can make one’s mattress feel more comfortable, all of this can be in vain if that topper sleeps hot.
Now, the most common cooling options include gel-infused memory foam, open-cell foam (which is more breathable), latex, and wool.
As for natural down, it is pretty breathable but can still sleep hot.
The thickness of your mattress topper matters for your comfort too. In particular, it can define how well the topper will mask the imperfections of your mattress. The most popular thickness is 2-3 inches. If you need to significantly alter the feel, go for thicker options. If you only want to tweak the comfort level of your bed, a thinner mattress pad should do fine.
Firmness is a highly subjective characteristic, yet its perception may depend on your preferred sleeping style.
Side sleepers, for example, tend to sink deeper into the material and form pressure points in their hips and shoulders. So, if you’re looking for a mattress pad suitable for side sleeping, you need a soft or medium model that can properly cradle these pressure points.
Stomach sleepers have the weakest points in their lumbar spine, so they need a firmer mattress topper to prevent an awkward curve in this area.
The supine position produces the least amount of pressure on the spine (2), so if you’re a back sleeper, you might need a mattress pad that will properly support natural spine curves. The medium firmness works best in this case: it can offer a balanced hug and prevent stiffness in the shoulder blades and the lower back.
“Mattress toppers with an egg-crate design typically feel somewhat softer than solid slabs of foam. Just something to keep in mind”
How long does a mattress topper last?
An average mattress topper lasts 3 to 5 years. A cheaper one may last a year or two.
How long to air out a memory foam mattress topper?
24-48 hours is the average recommended time to air out a memory foam mattress topper. Low-quality or infused foams may take 72 or even more hours before the odor dissipates.
How to dispose of your old foam mattress topper?
To dispose of a foam mattress topper, you can drop it off at a local recycling center, donate it to a local charity, or repurpose it, for example, by making a bed for your pet.
What is the difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper?
A mattress pad is a thin layer (typically with a fitted design) used to add some comfort without altering the feel of a mattress, while a mattress topper is a thicker layer of cushioning that can usually change how your mattress feels (e.g. make it softer or firmer).
While a mattress topper is not a panacea for your old bed, a good one can certainly change the situation for the better. After all, if you pick a suitable topper, you can alter the way your mattress feels, add more support, or give yourself extra cushioning. But how do you choose “the one”?
Well, you need to pay attention to the firmness level and pick according to your favorite sleeping position. Plus, don’t forget that every mattress topper material has its peculiarities, and some of them might not work for you. Finally, consider the available thickness options and choose what would work for you (remember that thicker toppers have more chances of changing the feel of your mattress).
As for my favorite, I would certainly pick the Memory Foam Mattress Topper by GhostBed. This model exceeded my expectations, so I have a feeling it can make you happy as well. The GhostBed topper does an excellent job of distributing the weight and relieving pressure, which means comfort and instant relaxation. Additionally, it stays in place all night long, doesn’t sleep hot, and can protect your mattress from accidental spills. To me, that’s a winning combination of features!
I also can’t resist sharing my second favorite - the Tempur-Pedic mattress topper. This model may seem too pricey, but trust me - it’s worth every penny. Not only is it quality made but also offers high comfort levels. This mattress topper is supportive and cradling at the same time, which is a winning combination if you ask me. It can give you that extra cushioning while aiding proper weight distribution and keeping your spine supported. What else is there to wish for?
How about you? Which model managed to catch your eye? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
- What Is Memory Foam? (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.sleep.org/articles/what-is-memory-foam/
- UCLA Ergonomics (n.d.) Sleeping Posture. Retrieved from https://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/backsafety/sleeping-posture
Mattress Toppers Considered
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted