This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
A Quick Preview
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
|Shop Now on Amazon|
Our Reviews of 5 Best Mattress Toppers in Canada
Best Overall - Milliard
Okay, so the first model that claimed its place in this review of the best mattress toppers in Canada is the Milliard. I found it to be a universal pick for almost any user. It cradles your body closely, doesn’t make you sleep hot, and is incredibly easy to maintain. The Milliard is 2 inches thick and is made of dense yet soft memory foam. Plus, it’s infused with cooling gel, so you can expect that typical cradling and pressure relief of memory foam without the common issue with heat retention. Also, the soft feel of the topper can be perfectly paired with a firm mattress. In particular, those who have mattresses with coils, which typically have a certain level of rigidity, can use this pad to add some cushioning. Finally, the Milliard topper is incredibly easy to maintain. It features a non-slip bottom, which keeps it secured on the mattress, and has a washable cover, which protects the pad — and you — from dust and debris. I really enjoyed sleeping on the Milliard topper. It’s cushioning, supportive, and ensures refreshing slumber even on summer nights.
- Mixed back and side sleepers. The Milliard can support proper spine alignment in the supine position and cradle your hips and shoulders when you’re sleeping on your side so that your spine doesn’t have awkward curves.
- Owners of firm mattresses. This mattress pad has a plush feel and can easily soften the feel of your mattress, making it more comfortable.
- Back pain sufferers. The pad conforms very closely to your spine, helps your muscles relax, and reduces the straining, thereby alleviating pain.
Not recommended for:
- Suitable for everyone. No exceptions.
Best for Heavy Sleepers - BedStory
And here goes another option in my review of the best mattress toppers in Canada — the BedStory. This mattress pad is made of soft but dense memory foam and can effectively support large users and those who are looking for something supportive.
The BedStory is made of charcoal-infused memory foam, which is more resistant to mold and bacteria than regular foams, so it will stay resilient for a longer time.
I was also impressed with the cooling effect of the BedStory topper. Aside from charcoal infusion that contributes to the open-cell structure, the topper has perforations across the surface to enhance air circulation. So, even if you suffer from chronic hot flashes, this topper may cool you down and help maintain the needed temperature.
Also, the BedStory is 3 inches thick, so it can offer just the right amount of cushioning for a heavy user.
I found the BedStory to be a pretty good mattress topper. It seems durable, doesn’t make you sweaty during sleep, and can suit larger sleepers and couples.
- Heavy sleepers. The 3-inch thickness will contour your lumbar spine and hips and distribute the weight around the surface without making you feel awkwardly bent.
- Owners of old mattresses. If the top layers of your mattress have gone flat, the BedStory topper can help you add some cushioning and mask indentations on the surface.
- Those who sleep hot. The breathable charcoal foam with perforations effectively prevents you from overheating during sleep.
Not recommended for:
- Suitable for everyone. No exceptions.
Best Budget Pick - Best Price Mattress
The next mattress topper I want to present to you is the Best Price Mattress, and it literally stands for its name by being the cheapest option on my list. However, a small price doesn’t make it worse than others. In fact, this mattress topper can even supersede some of its competitors.
The Best Price Mattress features a textured design divided into five zones. These zones create a slight massage effect for your whole body and alleviate pressure points. Also, they ensure more precise contouring, supporting your spine alignment in almost any position.
Another thing that I liked about this mattress topper is that the foam is infused with aloe vera extract. Not only does it help mask the chemical foam odor, but it also has a calming effect, which can be beneficial for those who struggle with insomnia. I had been sleeping like a baby, starting from the very first night!
Even though the Best Price Mattress isn’t very thick, it still offers great support, especially for those who sleep on their back or tummy.
A good mattress topper doesn’t have to be expensive, and the Best Price Mattress proves that. It relieves your pressure points, supports your spine, and can soothe you down to sleep in minutes.
- Those on a limited budget. The Best Price Mattress pad has everything you need from a decent mattress topper and doesn’t even look cheap, thanks to the zoned design and aloe vera infusion.
- Insomnia sufferers. The subtle aloe vera scent can induce sleepiness, so you won’t have to count sheep until sunrise.
- Back and stomach sleepers. The pad has a medium firmness but may feel a bit more rigid because of the zoned construction, which makes it a good pick for back and stomach sleepers.
Best Cooling Option - Linenspa
Moving further down my review of the best mattress toppers in Canada, and here’s an option for hot sleepers. Even though the Linenspa has a softer feel and a significant give, it doesn’t sleep hot at all, no matter how deep you sink into it. But it’s not the only great feature about this pad.
The gel beads inside the foam make your sleep cooler by adjusting to your body temperature. They also have higher thermal conductivity than foam pores, so they can dissipate the excess heat into the air more quickly.
Also, the infusions break down the foam structure a bit, so it feels softer and more cradling. I tested this mattress pad after having been sitting at the office desk the entire day, but I felt completely refreshed when I woke up. No stiffness and tension in the back, nothing!
Now, I was testing the 2-inch option and found it to have good motion absorption. If you share a bed with a restless sleeper, this mattress pad can help you get uninterrupted sleep. There’s also a 3-inch thick model available, and I think it will have even lower motion transfer, so you can check it out as well.
I was quite impressed with this mattress topper. It prevents heat retention, which is common among memory foam products, and can still offer you a good hug.
- Hot sleepers. The cooling gel makes the Linenspa more adaptive to changes in your body temperature and helps you sleep cooler.
- People with back pain issues. The Linenspa is very cradling and can relieve the pressure points in your hips, shoulders, and lower back while maintaining proper spine alignment.
- Couples. Even a thinner option of this topper has pretty low motion transfer and can absorb motion so that you and your partner won’t wake each other up.
Best for Old Mattresses - LUCID
Most people purchase mattress pads for altering the feel of their mattress, and I couldn’t ignore that when reviewing the best mattress toppers in Canada. So, meet the LUCID, a 4-inch thick topper that can easily upgrade the feel of even the ancient mattress, making it much more comfortable for sleeping.
The LUCID uses charcoal-infused memory foam, which is found to be quite durable and resilient to mold and dust mites. So, it can serve as a hygienic layer between your body and the old mattress, thus preventing you from inhaling the dust particles.
Also, the LUCID is really soft, which is sort of the calling card of this brand. This mattress pad ensures great pressure relief and adjusts to your natural spine curves, thus preventing back pain and stiffness. Plus, it can help you mask uneven spots if your mattress is old.
Finally, the hug that this mattress topper can offer can reduce the time you spend tossing and turning. When I was testing this pad, I fell asleep significantly faster than on other models, and my wife said that I also switched positions less frequently.
I think that the LUCID topper can upgrade even the oldest mattress and soothe even the most sensitive sleeper — even those more sensitive than my wife. So, if this seems like what you need, I recommend you choose the LUCID.
- Owners of old beds. The thickness of the LUCID topper can make your mattress feel like new — at least for a little while — and bring sound sleep back into your life.
- Restless sleepers and their partners. The LUCID has great motion absorption, so even if your bedmate constantly moves, you’ll barely feel anything.
- Those who want to make their bed higher. Place the topper on your mattress, and it will add as many as 4 inches to the height of your bed. If that’s what you need to get in and out of bed comfortably, go for this model.
How Can You Benefit from Using a Mattress Topper?
Now, most users buy a topper to alter the feel of their current mattress, which appears to be not perfect for their needs. The average mattress topper costs about CDN$100-150, which is way cheaper than replacing the whole bed, so it’s totally understandable.
But this is not the only reason why mattress toppers are so popular.
You can benefit from this bedding item in the following cases:
- You suffer from back pain. A mattress topper can mask uneven spots on an old mattress and give more cradling for your spine curves.
- You sleep hot. Most of the modern mattress toppers are made of gel-infused foams that trap less heat without sacrificing comfort.
- You share the bed with a restless sleeper. Thicker mattress toppers have higher motion absorption and make it easier for you to find a comfy position, so you won’t toss and turn a lot.
- You have a physically demanding lifestyle. Some brands make their mattress toppers using phase-change materials that were initially invented for athletes. These materials — Celliant fabric and copper-infused foam, in particular — can convert some amount of body heat into infrared energy, thus helping you heal and recover faster.
“If you rent a furnished apartment or live in a dorm, you can use a thin mattress topper as a protective layer on top of your bed. It will prevent you from inhaling dust and mold particles that might have collected inside the mattress while it had been used by other people.”
Things That Make a Decent Mattress Topper
Now, when it comes to bedding items, there’s no ultimate pick for everyone. That’s why you should rely on your preferences in the first place.
However, some considerations are worthy of your attention regardless of what topper you want. I will gladly share them with you so that you can make a balanced decision.
Most highly rated memory foam toppers in Canada are made of memory foam. This material is well known for its cradling properties, so it can easily make your bed more comfortable.
I recommend that you choose gel-infused or copper-infused foam, which has higher thermal conductivity than traditional foam, so it will dissipate your body heat faster and prevent overheating.
“Note that memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material, meaning it will feel more rigid in a colder environment and will soften a bit under your body, unlike polyurethane foam, which is more responsive and less temperature-sensitive (1).”
Polyfoam is the second most common material for mattress toppers. It has an open-cell structure and a bouncier feel, so such toppers can maintain their shape for a longer time.
A polyfoam mattress pad might be a good pick for individuals with limited mobility because it can offer a good level of conforming without limiting movements.
The thickness of your mattress topper matters for your comfort too. In particular, it can define how well the topper will mask the imperfections of your mattress. The most popular thickness is 2-3 inches. If you need to significantly alter the feel, go for thicker options. If you only want to tweak the comfort level of your bed, a thinner mattress pad should do fine.
Firmness is a highly subjective characteristic, yet its perception may depend on your preferred sleeping style.
Side sleepers, for example, tend to sink deeper into the material and form pressure points in their hips and shoulders. So, if you’re looking for a mattress pad suitable for side sleeping, you need a soft or medium model that can properly cradle these pressure points.
Stomach sleepers have the weakest points in their lumbar spine, so they need a firmer mattress topper to prevent an awkward curve in this area.
The supine position produces the least amount of pressure on the spine (2), so if you’re a back sleeper, you might need a mattress pad that will properly support natural spine curves. The medium firmness works best in this case: it can offer a balanced hug and prevent stiffness in the shoulder blades and the lower back.
“Mattress toppers with an egg-crate design typically feel somewhat softer than solid slabs of foam. Just something to keep in mind”
Now you know how to find a quality mattress topper in Canada. I’ve reviewed 5 great models that can please any demand and have good value for money, so you shouldn’t have any problems with choosing the right one for yourself. As for my favorite, I’ll probably pick the Milliard topper. It doesn’t alter the feel of your mattress very much, but it can add some comfort if your bed is overly firm for you. Also, I liked that it comes with a removable cover and anti-slip bottom, meaning the use and maintenance of the topper won’t be a hassle. Finally, the Milliard perfectly fits my sleeping style, so if you’re a combo side and back sleeper just like me, you will love it. And what about you? Which model has caught your eye and why? Share your feedback below!
How long does a mattress topper last?
An average mattress topper lasts 3 to 5 years. A cheaper one may last a year or two.
How long to air out a memory foam mattress topper?
24-48 hours is the average recommended time to air out a memory foam mattress topper. Low-quality or infused foams may take 72 or even more hours before the odor dissipates.
How to dispose of your old foam mattress topper?
To dispose of a foam mattress topper, you can drop it off at a local recycling center, donate it to a local charity, or repurpose it, for example, by making a bed for your pet.
What is the difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper?
A mattress pad is a thin layer (typically with a fitted design) used to add some comfort without altering the feel of a mattress, while a mattress topper is a thicker layer of cushioning that can usually change how your mattress feels (e.g. make it softer or firmer).
- What Is Memory Foam? (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.sleep.org/articles/what-is-memory-foam/
- UCLA Ergonomics (n.d.) Sleeping Posture. Retrieved from https://www.ergonomics.ucla.edu/backsafety/sleeping-posture
Mattress Toppers Considered
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted