Best Firm Mattresses in Canada
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
The Canadian mattress market has got very diverse in recent years, which makes the choice of a good model a pretty daunting task.
Especially if you want something specific, like a firm mattress.
Thankfully, I’ve got you covered here!
Check my reviews of the best firm mattresses in Canada right below! I’ve selected some of the well-known players on the market and thoroughly tested their mattresses, so it should be easy for you to pick the right one!
A Quick Preview
- It has a very competitive price, ensuring you get value for money spent.
- Highly supportive mattress. Provides the required upthrust to keep the body in the right posture.
- The breathable cover aids thermoregulation, ensuring sleepers are comfy through their stay in bed.
The Novosbed is my first pick of Canada's best firm mattress options. From my tests, the Novosbed edges out the Douglas and Ghostbed flex mattresses in value. The cost of the Novosbed is simply too competitive.
Being a firm mattress, I got premium motion isolation and support. I was also impressed with the edges that held firm even when consistently occupied that space on the bed. Cooling was top notch although the breathability is enhanced by the tencel cover. Considering firm mattresses are usually more dense, this mattress wasn’t very challenging to unpack and maneuver. Finally, I like that you can order up the Novosbed Comfort + accessory to alter the mattress firmness if you are unsatisfied.
Based on Our Tests
I found the Novosbed to be firm and would give you great support no matter how you sleep. I love how it aligns with my body giving me a relaxed sleep. It was during the test that I noticed that my allergies aren't flaring up as the breathable foam keeps the moisture that causes the build-up of molds out, you can also order the comfort+ kit for an extra feel of comfort
I think that the Novosbed is one of the best firm mattresses in Canada that is really worth every dollar spent. It has a great amount of support and will serve you for years, regardless of your sleeping style.
- Fans of the memory foam feel. Even the firmest option of the Novosbed has some give to it and will adapt to your body curves, so you can relax and sleep peacefully.
- Allergy sufferers. The breathable open-cell memory foam prevents mold development and the removable cover will help you easily deal with dust particles.
- Those who need some customization. A Comfort+ layer will help you tailor the mattress firmness without replacing it or purchasing a mattress topper (because the kit is free, remember?)
- The mattress is not all that responsive as some sleepers may feel stuck into it
- Absorbs heat, not ideal for sleepers who sleep ho
- decent support in any sleeping position;
- Reinforced foam edges point towards extra sleep space, and durability.
- It is adept at sinking motion, making it a good pick for large weight differences in partnered sleepers.
The Douglas is another one of my firm mattress picks. Being a close substitute to the Novosbed, means it performed impressively in my reviews. While it is cheaper than the Novosbed, it lacks the adjustability of the Novosbed. Asides that, the Douglas is my go-to recommendation for couples because of its edge support.
I like that I was able to move around freely on this mattress, and that it had more bounce than the Novosbed. In addition, being an all-foam mattress option, it was cool to touch and duly thermoregulated as the need arose. The targeted support was also good, making it easy to see why it is good for back pain discomfort.
The Douglas bed is a decent budget-friendly pick for almost every user. It will ensure a cool and comfortable sleep in any position and seems pretty durable and long-lasting.
Based on Our Tests
During my review, I felt that the Douglas mattress provided a comfortable medium-firm cushion for my body. Moreover, I also liked the cool feel and other sleep-inducing features, such as edge support and thermoregulation. In my opinion, the Douglas mattress offers the best bang for the buck.
- Those on a limited budget. The combo of high-quality and durable materials make this mattress no worse than firmer beds in terms of support and comfort.
- Back pain sufferers. If you were recommended to sleep on a firmer mattress due to some back issues, the Douglas may be the perfect option. It isn’t very firm, so it won’t create pressure in your pressure points and will conform to your body to help relax muscles and alleviate pain.
- Active sleepers and their partners. The Douglas has low motion transfer and will prevent any movement coming from the other side of the bed so that you can enjoy a restful sleep.
- Not Ideal for heavy sleepers (250 lb +) as they could push past the softer layer of the mattress
- Doesn’t offer enough support for the hips; strict stomach sleepers will be better off with other options
- A high-quality mattress, ideal for a wide range of sleepers
- Comes with a soft sleep-inducing mattress cover to reduce the time it takes to fall asleep
- Excellent motion solation, perfect for couples
My third choice is the Ghostbed flex, albeit as a luxury choice. From my tests, I experienced unrivaled support, the kind suitable for heavy or stomach sleepers. Of course the surface wasn’t just rigid as it conformed quite easily to my body. However, the support was good as I felt the tension slowly seep away from my body.
The motion isolation was good, while the bounce was better than the Douglas or Novosbed mattress’. And of course, the edge support was outstanding, easily allowing me to get on and off. I also loved the cooling as this mattress was consistently cool to the touch while I felt zero discomfort from temperature changes. Finally, I love that this mattress has enough cushion to cater to a variety of sleepers, although I think heavy sleepers will get more value from it.
Generally, shoppers looking for a mattress with a luxury feel, great edge support, and good temperature regulation would be thrilled with the GhostBed Flex.
Based on Our Tests
During the Test, I found out this mattress was made with high-quality material that supports all kinds of sleepers. It provides all the luxury you and your partner can have including giving you a cool night's sleep if you usually sleep hot
- Luxury feel, built with quality material for durability
- Adequate bounce makes moving quite easy, especially for sexually active couples.
- Good temperature regulation for those who sleep hot
- May be too firm for some side sleepers
- Heavier than some mattresses, making it difficult to move around, flip, or rotate
Is a Firm Mattress Right for You?
Firm mattresses are not absolute, so they are not inherently right or wrong for you. A suitably firm mattress depends on the amount of pressure (weight) a sleeper can exert on the mattress, and the quality of support they need as per their favorite sleeping position.
Considering these two factors, you can deduce that a firm mattress to one person can be too soft to another. However, there are some categories of people that may need to invest in firm mattresses to take advantage of the benefits(1). Here is how it applies:
- Heavy sleepers. Firmer beds are great for larger users. They can distribute the weight around the mattress surface without feeling like a hammock and creating awkward curves in their lower back.
- Individuals with joint pain. If you suffer from arthritis or another joint disease, you know that sometimes it can limit your ability to move freely. A firm mattress doesn’t let you sink too deep, so it can help you move around the mattress surface and shift between different positions more easily.
- Scoliosis sufferers. People with scoliosis or other spine misalignments can opt for a firmer mattress that prevents their back issues from getting worse while still offering support and pressure relief.
- Hot sleepers. Most firmer beds don’t offer too much give, so the area of contact between your body and the mattress is smaller, which prevents you from overheating.
- Back sleepers. The supine position is considered the healthiest for your spine, and you can make the most of it with a firmer mattress. It will easily support proper spine alignment and ensure even distribution of your weight.
- Stomach sleepers. Most health specialists advise strongly against stomach sleeping because it can mess with your spinal health really bad. However, if you find yourself comfortable only in this position — just like my wife — then a firm mattress can work for you. It supports the lower abdomen, preventing your lumbar spine from straining.
If you’re not sure whether a firm or extra firm mattress will work for you, start with trying these tips to make your current bed firmer and see how it goes.
Also read: Best Soft Mattresses
How to Choose a Good Firm Mattress in Canada?
To choose a suitably firm mattress, you need to consider the brand for trust, construction material for effectiveness, and special considerations in the mattress design for back health.
These three are crucial to picking the right mattress firmness as long as the end goal is improved sleep and health(2). Here are some further explanations on those three factors.
Check the Brand’s History on the Market
Good mattress brands don’t just pop on the market out of nowhere. They gain a reputation by making quality products and being honest with their customers.
So, check the brand’s history on the market. You can find the main milestones in the ‘About Us’ section on the website and then google reviews. I recommend that you search for reviews on the Web instead of reading them from the website, where they might not be written by real users.
Research the Materials
Here’s the deal:
Foam firmness can be calculated by using the parameter called the Indentation Load (Force) Deflection (ILD or IFD). ILD shows how much weight (in pounds) you need to compress a memory foam sample by 25% of its volume.
ILD of memory foam can range between 15 to 18 points for a comfort layer and more than 50 points for a base layer. Generally, the ILD of 15 points and higher is considered firm.
Polyfoam, in general, is less dense than memory foam, so the firm feel here will start at 12-15 points.
Latex, on the contrary, may feel more rigid than synthetic foam, so if you’re looking for a firm mattress, check for 15-20 points of ILD and higher.
For coils, the main parameter that specifies firmness is steel gauge (the thickness of the wire used for making coils). The gauge is marked in numerics and usually, the lower the number, the thicker the steel wires.
The information above might be specific and not always displayed on the manufacturer’s website. But you can contact customer support directly, via a chat or by phone.
Also read: Best Luxury Mattresses in Canada
Don’t Forget About Back Health
Your mattress should be able to relieve your back problems and provide relaxation regardless of its firmness levels.
But certain brands go further and equip their beds with some features that can improve your back pain situation, such as:
- lumbar pads for the increased lumbar spine support;
- zoned comfort layers for precise cradling;
- pocketed coils for more pronounced pressure relief.
So, if you’re in the market for a good firm mattress for back pain issues, these are the features you should look for.
Also read: Best King Size Mattresses in Canada
As you can see, there are a lot of Canadian brands that can offer you a decent firm mattress. All the models I collected in my selection have great value for money and incredible supportive properties, but don’t feel uncomfortably rigid and won’t provoke any pain and stiffness.
If I had to choose a single model out of the five, I’d go with the Novosbed. This mattress impressed me by all means: it can support the spine in any position, doesn’t sleep hot, and has low motion transfer and pretty strong perimeter, which is good for couples.
What about you? Which of these mattresses can make a great purchase for your bedroom? Share your thoughts below!
- Monalisa P. (2020 July). The Amazing Benefits of Buying a Firm Mattress! Retrieved from https://gharpedia.com/blog/benefits-of-buying-a-firm-mattress/
- Marjorie H. et al. (2021 Feb). Does a Good Mattress Lead to Better Sleep? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/healthy-sleep/does-a-good-mattress-improve-sleep
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted