Best Firm Mattresses in Canada
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
The Canadian mattress market has got very diverse in recent years, which makes the choice of a good model a pretty daunting task.
Especially if you want something specific, like a firm mattress.
Thankfully, I’ve got you covered here!
Check my reviews of the best firm mattresses in Canada right below! I’ve selected some of the well-known players on the market and thoroughly tested their mattresses, so it should be easy for you to pick the right one!
A Quick Preview
Our Reviews of 5 Best Firm Mattresses in Canada
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice — Novosbed
So, I’ll start my review of top-rated firm mattresses in Canada with the Novosbed. It’s one of the most well-known Canadian brands for a reason. The Novosbed mattress has superb supportive properties and offers you great pain relief. But that’s not all.
Even though the mattress scores 7-7.5 points out of 10 on the firmness scale, it still offers you decent contouring. When you’re sleeping on it, you don’t feel like lying on bare rock and won’t wake up with a stiff back or other unpleasant sensations.
Another thing I love about the Novosbed is its breathability. The mattress features open-cell foam for comfort layers. This foam traps less heat and promotes better air circulation. Paired with a cooling Tencel cover, it turns the mattress into a breezy cloud for sleep.
The cover is removable, by the way, which makes the maintenance incredibly easy.
Finally, if you purchased the firmest option of the Novosbed and you feel that it isn’t firm enough for you, you can order a Comfort+ kit. This kit is basically an additional level of foam that can help you alter the feel of your bed the way you like it. Novosbed will send it to you for free within the trial period, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
I think that the Novosbed is one of the best firm mattresses in Canada that is really worth every dollar spent. It has a great amount of support and will serve you for years, regardless of your sleeping style.
- Fans of the memory foam feel. Even the firmest option of the Novosbed has some give to it and will adapt to your body curves, so you can relax and sleep peacefully.
- Allergy sufferers. The breathable open-cell memory foam prevents mold development and the removable cover will help you easily deal with dust particles.
- Those who need some customization. A Comfort+ layer will help you tailor the mattress firmness without replacing it or purchasing a mattress topper (because the kit is free, remember?)
- The mattress is not all that responsive as some sleepers may feel stuck into it
- Absorbs heat, not ideal for sleepers who sleep ho
Runner Up — Douglas
- decent support in any sleeping position;
- good value for money;
- washable cover.
Next on our list of best firm mattresses in Canada is the Douglas Cooling Gel Foam Mattress. Even though it’s a medium-firm bed, it still offers a pretty good floating feel and seems durable to offer long-term support.
I placed the Douglas bed in my review of the best firm mattresses in Canada for those who are looking for something budget-friendly. Even though it’s a medium-firm bed, it still offers a pretty good floating feel and seems pretty durable to support you for years.
The Douglas is packed with the proprietary materials from top to bottom. The comfort layer is made of gel-infused ecoLight® foam that withdraws heat really well and doesn’t have that quicksand feel which can be annoying for some users.
Further down, there’s the layer of Elastex® foam that transits your body weight to the base and enhances the contouring properties of the upper layer. Also, this foam can lock the sharp movements pretty well, which can be a plus if you share a bed with someone.
Finally, the mattress is encased in a removable Tencel cover that feels cool to the touch and can wick away sweat without making you feel uncomfortable. The cover has a signature design with red lining and the mountain pattern and is removable, so you can easily refresh the mattress and enjoy the comfortable sleep.
The Douglas bed is a decent budget-friendly pick for almost every user. It will ensure a cool and comfortable sleep in any position and seems pretty durable and long-lasting.
- Those on a limited budget. The combo of high-quality and durable materials make this mattress no worse than firmer beds in terms of support and comfort.
- Back pain sufferers. If you were recommended to sleep on a firmer mattress due to some back issues, the Douglas may be the perfect option. It isn’t very firm, so it won’t create pressure in your pressure points and will conform to your body to help relax muscles and alleviate pain.
- Active sleepers and their partners. The Douglas has low motion transfer and will prevent any movement coming from the other side of the bed so that you can enjoy a restful sleep.
- Not Ideal for heavy sleepers (250 lb +) as they could push past the softer layer of the mattress
- Doesn’t offer enough support for the hips; strict stomach sleepers will be better off with other options
The Luxury Option - GhostBed Flex
- A high-quality mattress, ideal for a wide range of sleepers
- Comes with a soft sleep-inducing mattress cover to reduce the time it takes to fall asleep
- Excellent motion solation, perfect for couples
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that combines the best of both worlds: the support of coils and the comfort of foam. The result is a mattress that is both comfortable and supportive.
While the top layer of this mattress is not specifically designed for hot sleepers, the GhostBed Flex does a great job regulating temperature. One could tell the top of the GhostBed Flex is memory foam, but it does flaunt more of a neutral feel when one lays on it.
Additionally, this mattress also has excellent edge support, which is great for couples who like to sprawl out. The transition layer lies atop the individually pocketed coils and provides extra cushioning. The bottom layer of the GhostBed Flex is made of high-density foam, which provides support and durability. The mattress is great for sleepers of different categories and those who suffer from back pain.
Generally, shoppers looking for a mattress with a luxury feel, great edge support, and good temperature regulation would be thrilled with the GhostBed Flex.
- Luxury feel, built with quality material for durability
- Great edge support
- Good temperature regulation for those who sleep hot
- May be too firm for some side sleepers
- Heavier than some mattresses, making it difficult to move around, flip, or rotate
Is a Firm Mattress Right for You?
Firmness is highly subjective, and what feels overly firm for one person may feel on the softer side for another. Although there are many people who enjoy sleeping on a firm bed, you should know that every mattress, even the extra firm models, are designed to satisfy certain needs.
So, personal preferences aside, a firm mattress will make a great pick for these types of buyers:
- Heavy sleepers. Firmer beds are great for larger users. They can distribute the weight around the mattress surface without feeling like a hammock and creating awkward curves in their lower back.
- Individuals with joint pain. If you suffer from arthritis or another joint disease, you know that sometimes it can limit your ability to move freely. A firm mattress doesn’t let you sink too deep, so it can help you move around the mattress surface and shift between different positions more easily.
- Scoliosis sufferers. People with scoliosis or other spine misalignments can opt for a firmer mattress that prevents their back issues from getting worse while still offering support and pressure relief.
- Hot sleepers. Most firmer beds don’t offer too much give, so the area of contact between your body and the mattress is smaller, which prevents you from overheating.
- Back sleepers. The supine position is considered the healthiest for your spine, and you can make the most of it with a firmer mattress. It will easily support proper spine alignment and ensure even distribution of your weight.
- Stomach sleepers. Most health specialists advise strongly against stomach sleeping because it can mess with your spinal health really bad. However, if you find yourself comfortable only in this position — just like my wife — then a firm mattress can work for you. It supports the lower abdomen, preventing your lumbar spine from straining.
If you’re not sure whether a firm or extra firm mattress will work for you, start with trying these tips to make your current bed firmer and see how it goes.
Also read: Best Soft Mattresses
How to Choose a Good Firm Mattress in Canada?
Okay, now you’re sure that you’ll definitely benefit from purchasing a firm mattress.
But what exactly should you look for in a good firm mattress made in Canada?
Let’s take a look at some of the key considerations.
Check the Brand’s History on the Market
Good mattress brands don’t just pop on the market out of nowhere. They gain a reputation by making quality products and being honest with their customers.
So, check the brand’s history on the market. You can find the main milestones in the ‘About Us’ section on the website and then google reviews. I recommend that you search for reviews on the Web instead of reading them from the website, where they might not be written by real users.
Research the Materials
Here’s the deal:
Foam firmness can be calculated by using the parameter called the Indentation Load (Force) Deflection (ILD or IFD). ILD shows how much weight (in pounds) you need to compress a memory foam sample by 25% of its volume.
ILD of memory foam can range between 15 to 18 points for a comfort layer and more than 50 points for a base layer. Generally, the ILD of 15 points and higher is considered firm.
Polyfoam, in general, is less dense than memory foam, so the firm feel here will start at 12-15 points.
Latex, on the contrary, may feel more rigid than synthetic foam, so if you’re looking for a firm mattress, check for 15-20 points of ILD and higher.
For coils, the main parameter that specifies firmness is steel gauge (the thickness of the wire used for making coils). The gauge is marked in numerics and usually, the lower the number, the thicker the steel wires.
The information above might be specific and not always displayed on the manufacturer’s website. But you can contact customer support directly, via a chat or by phone.
Also read: Best Luxury Mattresses in Canada
Don’t Forget About Back Health
Your mattress should be able to relieve your back problems and provide relaxation regardless of its firmness levels.
But certain brands go further and equip their beds with some features that can improve your back pain situation, such as:
- lumbar pads for the increased lumbar spine support;
- zoned comfort layers for precise cradling;
- pocketed coils for more pronounced pressure relief.
So, if you’re in the market for a good firm mattress for back pain issues, these are the features you should look for.
Also read: Best King Size Mattresses in Canada
As you can see, there are a lot of Canadian brands that can offer you a decent firm mattress. All the models I collected in my selection have great value for money and incredible supportive properties, but don’t feel uncomfortably rigid and won’t provoke any pain and stiffness.
If I had to choose a single model out of the five, I’d go with the Novosbed. This mattress impressed me by all means: it can support the spine in any position, doesn’t sleep hot, and has low motion transfer and pretty strong perimeter, which is good for couples.
What about you? Which of these mattresses can make a great purchase for your bedroom? Share your thoughts below!
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted