Best Soft Mattress in Canada
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Soft mattresses are commonly known for their generous amount of cushion.
However, there is more to a soft mattress than the hug-like feel it offers.
Anyway, here is a review of the best soft mattresses in Canada.
In addition, this article enunciates the outstanding properties of these mattresses while giving the readers important guidelines on choosing a top-rated soft mattress in Canada. Happy reading.
A Quick Preview
Puffy mattress is my first mention of the best soft mattresses in Canada. My tests showed that this mattress is adaptive, molding well to the body’s contours, and offers outstanding coziness. My experience with the Puffy mattress was pleasing as it was effective at pressure relief.
Despite being a plush mattress, the adaptive top layer did not transfer motion during my tests. I like that it maintains the temperature balance between my body and the mattress surface. Furthermore, the support on this mattress wasn’t lacking. I felt the upthrust keep my body in a comfortable state. In conclusion, I think the Puffy mattress is the all-in-one soft mattress pick for different preferences.
Based on Our Tests
During the test, I loved the various combinations of the bed's layers, which offered some needed benefits, especially ensuring the bed maintained a soft yet firm feel. People who prioritize comfort will love this bed.
- Plush top with premium motion isolation.
- This adaptive mattress top offers precise pressure alleviation to keep the body properly aligned.
- Adaptable to different kinds of platforms .
- Not recommended for heavy people.
- The soft layer is only on one side of the mattress.
- Solid thickness for weight support and durability.
- Good mattress-give and bounce; suitable for sex.
- Provides that extra space through firm edges.
My next pick is the Ghostbed flex, a hybrid mattress with excellent support. While reviewing, it was obvious that this mattress has superior bounce and support compared to the Puffy and Novosbed mattresses. However, despite the support, it is a soft mattress with better weight capabilities than its counterparts.
I like that I could move easily on the mattress, indicating that it is a suitable mattress for sexually-active couples. In addition, it has impressive cooling, consistently staying cool to the touch for my period of stay in bed. While this mattress offers less coziness compared to the Puffy mattress, I think it is a suitable choice for couples due to its reinforced support.
“Choose a soft mattress with reinforced edges or support for durability, as soft mattresses tend to sag faster from the edges.”
Based on Our Tests
I liked how well the Ghostbed absorbed motion during my tests. I barely felt the movement of my review partner. I also noticed the foam was responsive and I had no issues moving across the mattress. In my opinion, this mattress provides the ideal softness for couples and heavier sleepers.
- Firm support that ensures durability even with heavy users.
- The instantaneous cooling ensures body heat is not trapped at the mattress surface, leading to hot sleep.
- This mattress adeptly sinks motion, ensuring your sleep remains undisturbed irrespective of what is happening on the other side of the bed.
- Heavy mattress, hard to maneuver compared to other mattresses in this review.
- Not completely compatible with different platforms.
The Novosbed completes my best soft mattress picks. I picked it for its impressive cooling performance during my mattress reviews. I liked that it was always cool to the touch and adequately maintained body-mattress temperature balance, especially since soft mattresses tend to sleep hot.
Apart from its cooling features, I liked that it had a welcoming, breathable cover. The mattress bounce and give were good too. An impressive Novosbed highlight was that I could sleep comfortably in different positions. This indicates that my body was properly supported, ensuring I didn’t wake up sore. Finally, I loved that you can further soften this mattress on request as long as you are still in the test trial period.
“Soft mattresses tend to sleep hot but also have better breathability. For optimal cooling, you should only choose soft mattresses with enhanced cooling features and highly breathable covers.”
Based on Our Tests
I was pleasantly surprised at how soft this bed was during the testing period. Another feature that stood out for me in this bed is how I could regulate it to the firmness I wanted
- Adjustable firmness means users can further soften the mattress to taste.
- Consistent support keeps the sides from sagging, providing good mattress edges and durability.
- Customizable firmness, designed to perfectly suit individual needs.
- Edge support is not so impressive.
- It is not recommended for heavy people.
“How firm or soft a mattress is, goes a long way in determining some essential features of the mattress e.g. heat retention and durability.”
How to Choose the Best Soft Mattress
- Mattress Softness Level Mattresses have different firmness levels. Even with soft mattresses, there are degrees to the softness of foam or materials used. There is a firmness scale used by mattresses in Canada with 10 indicating the firmest mattress. Most mattresses come in firmness within the range of 5 and 6 which indicates medium firmness.
While mattresses in this range offer reasonable softness, lower ratings offer more plushness depending on need. The caveat is to pick a mattress that still offers reasonable support for the body. Also, very soft mattresses tend to have a short life span. Finally, the mattress softness level determines a lot of the other mattress properties.
- Breathability Plush mattresses conform easily to pressure and body heat, the reason for their hug-like feel. Unfortunately, they also trap heat easily compared to other firmness levels. Since sleeping hot is not a desired trait in mattresses, it is ideal to look for soft mattresses with systems designed to cater for sleeping hot.
Some soft mattresses use open air cell foams, some others use gel-infused foams, while others use totally different thermoregulation systems. The point of these systems is to enhance breathability which in turn ensures a cool mattress surface.
- Motion Isolation Motion isolation is a very important feature in mattresses. The good news is that soft mattresses isolate motion better than other firmness levels. On the other hand, high motion isolation translates to high movement restriction. So the trick is looking out for a balance between motion isolation and movement restriction in a mattress, a feature particularly common to medium-firm mattresses.
Mattresses with medium firmness offer more balance in both motion isolation and movement restriction but, depending on preference, individuals can prioritize one feature over the other.
- Durability Durability is one of those mattress features that can not be ascertained just by looking at the properties. However, there are pointers that can help determine how durable a mattress can be(1). Generally, firm mattresses tend to be more durable, because of the density the foam compartments require. However, these firm mattresses rarely have the desired properties of a plush mattress.
The good thing is that even plush mattresses have core, dense foams which act as a support and can also indicate the durability of the plush mattress. Another pointer for durability is the edge support whereby strong edge support prevents early sagging of mattress sides.
In addition, mattress sizes can have a little effect on durability with respect to the weight of the individual using it. Larger mattresses have more surface which can reduce how fast the mattress deteriorates. The standard mattress size is the queen size which is large enough for couples, however, readers interested in the best King size mattresses in Canada can find it here.
Are soft mattresses good for people with shoulder pain?
Soft mattresses are good for people with shoulder pain because they provide the required plushness necessary to cater for pain while providing support for the body.
Who are soft mattresses recommended for?
Soft mattresses are highly recommended for side sleepers because of the extra pressure the hips and shoulder apply to the mattress. However, to cater for balance and support, medium soft mattresses are recommended.
The best soft mattresses in Canada are equipped to cater for all categories of sleepers. Picking one is also quite easy as long as the guidelines for choosing a superb soft mattress is followed.
If our choice of plush mattress is reduced to one for the sake of this review, then our choice remains the Puffy mattress. It is an outstanding mattress which actually encapsulates the plushness that makes a soft mattress different without neglecting the necessary support for adequate body alignment.
Which soft mattress is your choice from the ones listed above? What level of mattress softness do you enjoy? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments.
- Adrienne S. (2020 June). How Often Should You Replace Your Mattress? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/when-to-change-mattress#What-are-the-general-guidelines?
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted