This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Acquiring any product is down to the positives it has to offer. However, no matter the positives, customers do appreciate an unbiased examination of the product in question so as to make better decisions. Therefore, bearing in mind the importance of mattresses to sleep and comfort, we have come up with unbiased mattress reviews in Canada for 2023.
Specific mattresses with their best use case and the criteria considered in choosing them are discussed in the write-up below. Hopefully, our readers are better enlightened on their choice of mattress after reading.
A Quick Overview
- Impressive motion isolation feature for couples;
- Comes with enhanced edge support for more sleeping space;
- It features an infrared heat dissipation tech for maintaining a cool surface.
The Douglas mattress is my editor’s choice for the best, unbiased review of mattresses in Canada for its motion-isolating features, excellent pressure relief, and fair thermoregulation. It is a mattress suited to sleepers with restless partners or significant weight differences. My review showed an acute point elasticity, creating near-perfect conformity to pressure. I recorded a 0.8-second recovery from compressions, and I could feel the slow-adaptive comfort of the foam layers as they took a moment to mold to my body and let me sink in for better pressure relief. This was 0.4 seconds slower than the GhostBed Luxe, meaning the Douglas Original is better for a slow-adaptive feel.
I could sleep comfortably on it due to its good thermoregulation. From my unbiased tests, the Douglas Original had a temperature of 31.8 degrees Celsius, which is cool enough to keep my temperature neutral. It does get close to the recommended maximum of 32.2 degrees, but I felt this model still could keep night sweats at bay. The Douglas Original was 0.2 degrees cooler than the GhostBed Luxe, making the Douglas Original slightly better in heat dispersion. I like the bounciness of the mattress, as it felt quite springy compared to the Puffy mattress. Furthermore, this mattress provided good support for my frame. I also liked that the mattress catered to my pressure points by bending in the right places to accommodate them.
Mattress firmness can indicate how durable the mattress will be. Firmer options tend to be more durable. However, denser means heavier.
Based on Our Tests
This mattress supported my spine, balanced the back, and relieved me of annoying pressure points. I also slept more comfortably without being hot, thanks to the breathable cooling gel foam of the mattress.
- Restless sleepers. The Douglas Original has excellent motion isolation properties that make it well-suited to sleepers who have restless partners;
- Sleepers who enjoy pressure relief. The Douglas Original has slow-adaptive layers that mold slowly to the body, helping with weight redistribution and pressure relief;
- Sleepers looking for a competitively priced mattress. The Douglas Original comes with great value for money, making it more accessible to sleepers on a tight budget.
- Excellent motion isolation feature, especially for couples;
- Good bounce for bed activities;
- Exceptional edge support for increased bed space.
- Individuals with weights more than 300 pounds might find it too cushiony;
- This mattress is quite heavy, likely making it challenging to maintain.
- The cool-to-the-touch cover is soft and heat-dispersing, helping you stay cool and comfortable;
- The 2 inches of GhostBouce foam help to keep the mattress feeling buoyant and bouncy for ease of movement;
- The deep cradling sinkage molds and contours to the body for penetrating pressure relief.
The GhostBed Luxe is my runner-up for the best, unbiased mattress review in Canada, thanks to its excellent sinkage, great motion isolation, and excellent bounce for ease of movement. Sinkage is impactful in how pressure relieves a memory foam mattress is, and the GhostBed Luxe excels in this area. From my unbiased review, the Ghostbed Luxe had a sinkage of 2.7 inches. This is enough sinkage where I was well-cradled, and the top layers noticeably compressed under me, so I was more ‘in’ than ‘on’ the mattress. The GhostBed Luxe was more compressing than the Puffy by 0.2 inches, which means the GhostBed Luxe is better for sleepers who enjoy soft, enveloping sinkage.
Another feature I found helpful regarding the Ghostbed Luxe was its ability to isolate motion. Motion transfer can be troublesome if you’re a light sleeper prone to waking up at the slightest movement from a partner. According to my tests, the GhostBed Luxe reacted to compressions about 3 inches from my compression tests and my glass of water. That’s enough isolation that I found my partner couldn’t feel when I was tossing and turning beside them. The Ghostbed Luxe has better motion-isolating properties than the GhostBed Flex by about 2 inches. That means the Ghostbed Luxe is the better choice for sleepers who need a high level of motion isolation.
The GhostBed Luxe also has an excellent bounce rate. Bounce means how springy a mattress feels and can help with ease of movement and avoiding that ‘quicksand’ feel that traditional memory foam mattresses are known for. From my tests, the GhostBed Luxe has an 8.01-inch total bounce due to its Ghost Bounce layer and firm base. I could move across the surface of the mattress relatively easily as the foam bounced back quickly, despite having such deep sinkage. The GhostBed Luxe has 1.22 inches more bounce than the Novosbed, which means the GhostBed Luxe is better suited to sleepers looking for springiness and buoyancy in their mattress.
Based on Our Tests
I determined through my tests that the GhostBed Luxe, thanks to its excellent sinkage, is incredibly comfortable while I’m on my side. It cradles the shoulders and hips nicely while keeping my spine neutral.
- Fans of sleeping ‘in’ the mattress. The GhostBed Luxe offers a deep sinkage that can provide effective cradling and excellent pressure relief that envelops the body;
- Sleepers who prefer ease of movement. The Ghostbed Luxe has springy, responsive foam and bounces back quickly, ensuring you don’t feel ‘stuck’ when moving in and out of bed;
- Restless partners. The GhostBed Luxe offers great motion isolation that can help light sleepers from being disturbed continually throughout the night.
- Excellent motion isolation to keep jostling to a minimum;
- Excellent pressure relief and contouring sinkage;
- Excellent bounce for moving in and out of bed quickly.
- Non-removable cover;
- Not cool enough for hot sleepers.
- Optimal support for different sleeping positions and weight categories;
- Superbly durable side upholstery for the mattress side;
- Users can request a topper to address any firmness issue with the mattress.
The Novosbed is my best mattress for couples in my unbiased Canadian mattress reviews due to its excellent balance between comfort and support, ease of movement, and excellent motion transfer ability. The Novosbed is a quality mattress I find to be the best bet for different individuals, regardless of their weight and sleeping positions.
From my tests, I experienced proper support for my frame regardless of my sleeping style. The Novosbed had a sinkage of 1.92 inches, where I found I was cushioned yet still experienced enough support to keep my spine aligned. The Novosbed had 0.58 more sinkage than the Puffy, making the Novosbed more suited to sleepers who enjoy less sinkage and a more even surface for their spine. I could also move around quite easily, although this was more prominent in the firm version.
Despite the ease of movement, the Novosbed could absorb motion rather well. Motion absorption is crucial for light sleepers who share the bed with a partner who is always on the move in their sleep. From my unbiased tests, the Novosbed reacted to compressions around 2 inches from my glass of water. My partner could barely feel this high level of motion isolation when I got in and out of bed. The Novosbed has better motion isolation than the GhostBed Flex by 3 inches, making the Novosbed the better model overall for sleepers needing high motion absorption. Ultimately, I think the Novosbed is great for providing options that cater to a wide range of users.
Based on Our Tests
I was able to test the soft version of the mattress. It conforms to the contours of my body, and it feels plush, but you won't feel like you're sinking into quicksand.
- Couples. The Novosbed isolates motion well in its top comfort layers, making it a good option for couples who are in bed and want better sleep;
- Sleepers who enjoy the ease of movement. The Novosbed is known for its balance of comfort and support which allows for springy ease of movement so you don’t feel ‘stuck’;
- Sleepers who prefer less sinkage. To ensure you don’t slip too deep in the layers, the Novosbed offers a firmer transition layer and supportive base so you are cushioned yet not as enveloped as other models.
- It caters to the body’s pressure points by adapting precisely and maintaining the right spinal position;
- Additional topper option for modulating mattress firmness;
- Provides good spinal alignment for users.
- Some customers complain of sleeping hot;
- The edges dip easily, making it likely to sag faster than mattresses with reinforced edges.
- This mattress is designed to work with any frame, including adjustable frames;
- Excellent mattress serves the body’s pressure points, aiding the body’s relaxation;
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
The Puffy is my best memory foam mattress in my list of unbiased mattress reviews in Canada, thanks to its excellent sinkage, motion isolation, and contouring ability. My tests confirm that the Puffy mattress is one of the best medium-firm mattresses available. The balance of this mattress's sinkage, motion isolation, and bounce features makes it a good option for the average sleeper.
Looking at the mattress’s sinkage, I noticed the top layers compressed considerably under my weight. From my unbiased review, the Puffy had a compression of 2.5 inches, which is enough for effective cradling and weight redistribution. The Puffy had 0.55 inches more sinkage than the GhostBed Flex, making the Puffy the better option for a deep-cradling feel.
The highest quality memory foam mattresses can isolate motion, and the Puffy is no exception. From my tests, the Puffy reacted to compressions around 2.5 inches from my glass of water, enough that my partner couldn’t feel it when I got in and out of bed. The Puffy had 2.5 inches better motion isolation than the GhostBed Flex, which means the Puffy is a more suitable option for light sleepers who need to remain undisturbed while sleeping.
A mattress’s contouring ability is another feature that makes a good memory foam mattress great. This is how long it takes for the foam to bounce back after being compressed and helps with how pressure-relieving a mattress is. According to my tests, the Puffy took 1.7 seconds to bounce back fully from compressions, and I could feel it slow-adapt to my body for a deeper, more contouring feel. This is 1.3 seconds slower than the GhostBed Luxe, making the Puffy a more suitable option for sleepers who want more pressure relief and a slower-adapting foam mattress.
On the other hand, the support wasn’t lacking because I did not feel any unnatural bends on my body while resting. Considering my experience with this mattress, I think this mattress is better for side sleepers and back sleepers who need sufficient cushion.
Based on Our Tests
My tests showed me the pressure alleviating properties of this mattress as it cradled my body's pressure points. This provides precise contouring, promoting healthy body alignment and relieving pressure in areas like hips and shoulders.
- Sleepers who prefer more sinkage. The Puffy’s top comfort layers compress nicely under your weight, offering an even surface that allows for better pressure relief;
- Restless partners. The Puffy can isolate significant motion, helping to make you feel rested and undisturbed during the night, even with tossing and turning happening beside you;
- Fans of a classic memory foam feel. The Puffy offers slow-adaptive, cradling memory foam that lets you sink in slowly, redistributing your weight and relieving tension, which creates a classic memory foam feel.
- The plush top is welcoming, offering above-average coziness for sleepers;
- Consistent support across the mattress surface provides upthrust for proper spinal alignment;
- A lifetime warranty provides insurance for the user in case of mishaps due to the product's quality.
- Poor edge support;
- It cannot offer enough support for heavy sleepers.
- It has a mattress bounce that eases movement on the mattress;
- Optimal edge support for more space and life span;
- Features patented cooling tech aimed at providing comfort for users.
The Ghostbed Flex completes my list in this unbiased mattress review in Canada, which I specially designated for heavy sleepers. I think it's the best option for heavy sleepers for quality sleep and mattress longevity.
My tests showed that it has an above-average bounce and superior support, the type perfect for heavy sleepers. The edges were also quite sturdy, allowing me to get on and off seamlessly. From my unbiased review, the GhostBed Flex had a sinkage of 3.7 inches at the edge, ensuring I never felt at risk of slipping out of bed while on the edge. This is slightly better than the Novosbed by 0.4 inches, making the GhostBed Flex and its robust coils the better option for sleepers who need a stable edge for getting in and out of bed.
Unlike other pocketed coil mattresses, I like that this mattress uses an extra layer of dense foam to enhance the support offered. Also, I experienced zero discomforts relative to mattress temperature. When testing this mattress, I recorded a temperature of 30.4 degrees Celsius, which is cool enough that I didn’t encounter any night sweats and remained cool throughout the night. This is cooler than the GhostBed Luxe by 1.6 degrees, meaning the GhostBed Flex better suits hot sleepers needing a cooler option.
Ultimately, I think the Ghostbed flex is a suitable option for sexually active couples, heavy individuals, and stomach sleepers. Looking at sexually active couples, they are the most to benefit from the GhostBed Flex’s bounce levels. A high bounce allows for fast movements. From my tests, the GhostBed Flex had a bounce of 9.01 inches thanks to its coils, and I could easily move across the top of the bed. This is 1.01 inches more bounce than the GhostBed Luxe, making the GhostBed Flex better suited to sleepers who want to feel more buoyant and restriction-free.
Based on Our Tests
According to my review, I saw that this mattress has a nice bounciness that suits heavy sleepers and active couples. Also, the mattress feels airy with perforations that draw heat away from the body.
- Active couples. The GhostBed Flex’s coils offer high bounce, helping with ease of movement and changing positions quickly;
- Hot sleepers. The GhostBed Flex’s use of breathable coils, cool cover, and foam help disperse heat, helping hot sleepers not experience heat build-up at night;
- Sleepers who need good edge support. The GhostBed Flex has robust edges, ensuring you remain stable when getting out of bed.
- The transition layers sink motion, allowing partnered sleepers to enjoy undisturbed rest;
- Maintains a cool surface always;
- Good support thanks to the generous core.
- Some customers complain about the mattress not being firm enough;
- This mattress may be uncomfortable for side sleepers who need an adequate cushion.
Why You Should Trust Me
Over the years, we at ComfyNorth have reviewed countless mattresses in person. We have years of industry knowledge to offer and know the difference between a well-made and a poor-quality mattress. Our mattresses undergo rigorous testing to determine comfort, pressure relief, motion isolation, and support. We also look at other factors, such as temperatures for coolness and edge support.
When it comes to determining the best mattresses from an unbiased review, we chose the best mattresses in the categories of comfort, motion isolation, and pressure relief to add to this list. All of the mattresses in this list excel in these categories. You can read our mattress-testing process here to learn more about our methodology.
How to Choose the Best Mattresses in Canada
While honest mattress reviews are all good, knowing how to choose the best mattress is better. What makes the best mattresses unique? What criteria for selecting the best mattresses in Canada? Here are some tips for picking the best mattresses.
There are different types of mattresses, up to 15 types. However, the common ones are
- Memory Foam Mattresses: This type is the most common mattress, and it is known for its motion isolation features. It also has the conforming characteristic necessary for embracing pressure points in the body(1).
- Hybrid Mattresses: Hybrid mattresses are mattresses made from two materials, especially foam and innerspring. They are pretty durable and also offer incredible bounce(2).
- Latex Mattresses: This type of mattress is known for its long life span. They are made from plant fibers and provide a good bounce for users. Although this mattress sleeps hot, manufacturers tend to use it with gel-infused foams.
- Innerspring Mattresses: Innerspring mattresses are like hybrid mattresses but with more springs for support and bounce.
Mattresses primarily provide comfort but should not be detrimental to healthy sleeping. This is why potential buyers should check for health certifications for any mattress they are interested in purchasing. The common ones are OEKO-tex and CertiPUR-US.
Thickness and Density
Mattress thickness and density are often used interchangeably, but they are two distinct mattress characteristics.
The mattress thickness often refers to how high the mattress is when laid in its natural position, while mattress density refers to how solid it is. So, for example, a firm mattress option will be denser than the soft option even though they may have the same thickness.
The essence of not conflating a mattress’ thickness with the density is because of durability. Dense mattresses tend to last longer than less dense ones, irrespective of thickness.
Firmness is an important quality to check for in an honest mattress review. The firmness level of the mattress determines whether the mattress will be usable for an individual. The different sleeper types and combinations have preferred firmness levels. A wrong firmness level that negates the user's favorite sleeping position will only result in ache.
Most mattresses in Canada create their mattresses in the medium firmness range to cater to more people. While there are recommended firmness levels for each sleeper type, this is an excellent way to ensure more people are satisfied, especially couples with different sleeping styles.
If the firmness level is still unsatisfactory, mattress toppers can be used to achieve the desired level by adding the soft option to a firm mattress and vice versa. While some companies offer this topper for free, some offer them for purchase.
Everyone likes a cool mattress surface. The issue arises when the mattress cannot stay cool during usage, causing discomfort. While some mattresses tend to retain body heat on the surface due to the materials used for construction, top mattress brands have techs and designs for their mattresses to dissipate heat from the surface to keep the mattress surface cool.
Some of the things to check for in a mattress for a cool surface include gel-infused foam layers, breathable covers, and some other custom tech aimed at helping with body heat.
Sleep Trials and Guarantees
Sleep trials and guarantees usually indicate the trust of manufacturers in their products. For example, most mattresses have sleep trials not less than 90 days and have guarantees greater than ten years. These two criteria are the baseline requirements for a mattress’ guarantee.
The sleep trial is for checking if an individual enjoys sleeping on the mattress. Returning is usually within the sleep trial period, and most of these mattress manufacturers offer free shipping and returns if the mattress is not satisfactory.
Mattresses need cleaning every once in a while, mainly if used for an extended period. While cleaning mattresses is totally possible and even encouraged, it is not an easy task. An easy way to achieve an ever-fresh bed is by cleaning the mattress cover, which is only possible if the cover is detachable. It is important to check if the mattress cover is detachable because it can save users a lot of potential stress.
What type of mattress is the best?
There is no definitive answer to this as the best mattress type depends on the individual's preference, especially sleeping position.
What mattress kind is the most durable?
Generally, latex mattresses tend to last longer than their counterparts, but mattresses with a highly dense core are assured to be durable with a long life span.
In conclusion of our unbiased mattress reviews, it is essential to note what separates the mattresses mentioned here. Their excellent attributes are a significant reason we have provided a guide for our readers to ease the task when trying to choose a mattress for themselves.
In my opinion, the Douglas Original mattress is what stood out to me the most as the best in my unbiased mattress reviews in Canada. The Douglas Original has an excellent price point, and I found its motion isolation properties excellent. I could toss and turn, and my partner remained undisturbed. It also had a slow-adaptive feel, giving me better pressure relief and keeping my muscles tension-free and comfortable.
Which one of our best mattresses do you prefer? What are your most important criteria for choosing a mattress? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.
- Mattress firm blog. (2018, July 8). 5 Benefits of Buying a Memory Foam Mattress. Retrieved from https://www.mattressfirm.com/blog/mattress-obsessed/the-benefits-of-buying-a-memory-foam-mattress
- Casper blog. (2021, August 23). What is a hybrid mattress? Retrieved from https://casper.com/blog/what-is-hybrid-mattress/#:~:text=A%20hybrid%20mattress%20is%20a,Talk%20about%20the%20perfect%20blend!
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted