This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen products, which earn us a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn More
Some people tend to run hot, and the problem of trying to stay cool through the night is especially more pronounced during summer and hotter climes. Although not everyone indeed requires the best cooling mattress in Canada, it is also true that cooling mattresses help improve restorative sleep health.
We’ll be taking an in-depth look at some cooling mattresses in Canada that’ll make you achieve peaceful slumber even on the hottest of nights. And to make the read further interesting, there’ll be free tips on how to choose the best cooling mattress available on the market. Enjoy.
A Quick Preview
- Medium firm firmness level for adequate body contouring, cushion, and pain relief;
- An incredibly dense core that enhances lumbar support and spinal alignment;
- Features a zippered stain-resistant cover for easier mattress maintenance.
The Puffy mattress is one of the best mattresses for hot sleepers in Canada and comes at the top of this list, as it’s a versatile mattress designed to ensure your body stays cool throughout your sleep. The mattress’ combination of gel-infused foam, a breathable base layer, and a sweat-wicking top cover ensures that your body heat is dissipated for a sweat-free rest.
During my review, I liked how responsive the foam felt. The mattress cradled my bones and pressure points in all the right places. I was impressed by the edge support and felt comfy when laying around the Puffy mattress’ perimeter. In addition, I tested the motion isolation and found it to be well above average.
While sleeping on the mattress, I noticed that despite the incredible hug it provided, it didn’t have a restrictive feeling. The memory foam top layer adequately cushioned my body while its dense core provided the support needed for spinal alignment.
I think the mattress would be a great choice for lightweight sleepers like me who cherish the weightless feeling that comes with a top cushioning layer. Just like the company advertised, I felt like I was sleeping on a cool cloud and woke up more relaxed than I had in a long time.
Based on Our Tests
During the test, I found that this bed provided enough support, which ensured that I didn't feel any back pain throughout the period I used it. People who have constant back pain after sleeping will love this bed.
- It offers incredible motion isolation, a feature especially great for partnered sleepers.
- The mattress cover is hypoallergenic, effectively battling dust and other allergy causing irritants.
- Its gel-infusion heightens the tension alleviation properties of the mattress.
- The firmness level is not sturdy enough for heavy stomach sleepers.
- It does not possess reinforced edges for mattress support.
- Incredibly dense support base for optimal back support;
- It uses gel-infused memory foam and innerspring breathability to achieve thermoregulation;
- Extra edge support feature to enhance mattress surface sturdiness and stability.
Next up is the GhostBed Flex, a top-rated mattress for hot sleepers. The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that blends the durability and sturdiness of innerspring with the cushioning comfort of memory foam to deliver zoned tension relief. A feature that makes the mattress great for back pain sufferers.
Running hot can sometimes be caused by illnesses or harsh weather; however, with the GhostBed Flex, sleeping without night sweats (1) is sure. I liked that the mattress stayed cool even while I was sleeping on it, a feature only a few mattresses can relate to.
My high point while reviewing the mattress was its reinforced edge support. The mattress edges were extra-rigid, and I could sit on them without the mattress sagging. This feature makes the mattress especially great for back pain sufferers, as it ensures they can easily get out of bed.
Based on Our Tests
The bouncy feel this bed provided throughout the testing period makes it easy for me to change my sleeping position. I also discovered that it made me sweat way less, making it ideal for people who sweat a lot overnight.
- The mattress makeup and construction guarantee durability.
- Its improved edge support creates mattress uniformity and more space for users.
- It uses several proprietary cooling features to help combat heat retention.
- It might be a little expensive for shoppers on a budget.
- There is a slight off-gassing period when the package is being opened.
- The mattress construction optimizes airflow while reducing heat retention;
- It comes with a special comfort feature that allows the mattress to be adjusted;
- Incredibly cheap, ideal for shoppers on a budget.
If you’re a fan of memory foam mattresses but don’t want their associative heat retention, then you ought to check out the Novosbed. The mattress uses an open-cell foam with channels for heat dispersion and a highly breathable Tencel mattress cover. These dual features mean that you enjoy the stress-relieving properties of memory foam while staying cool, thanks to the mattress construct.
Apart from its temperature regulation, I liked the slow-moving feel of the Novosbed mattress. While reviewing the mattress, I had my partner get in and out of bed multiple times to see how efficient it was at motion isolation. I didn’t feel a thing as the mattress absorbed all the movements generated by my partner.
And in addition to its incredible features, the mattress comes at a bargain, cheaper than the Puffy and GhostBed Flex. An incredible option for shoppers on a budget.
Since memory foam gives off some off-gassing scent during mattress package opening, you should ensure that your box is opened in a well-ventilated room to hasten the smell reduction process.
Based on Our Tests
This mattress felt very cool during my tests. Novosbed’s cooling features and the cradling feel ensured I felt comfortable. I also felt that my spine was adequately supported and I didn’t notice any body cramps after I got up. In my opinion, this mattress will be a great bargain for hot sleepers.
- Its top cover is machine washable, making cleaning easier.
- It comes with an optional Comfort+ layer for adjusting mattress firmness level.
- Compatibility with all types of frames, bases, and foundations.
- The mattress surface might not be firm enough for heavy sleepers.
- It does not possess special cooling technologies like the other mattresses on this list.
Types of Cooling Mattresses
Cooling mattresses are known for their breathability, heat dispersion, and special cooling features in some cases (2). Let’s take a look at the types of cooling mattresses available in the market; they include:
Latex mattresses are naturally breathable and are known for their responsiveness. Apart from being great at temperature regulation, they are also excellent at pain relief and lasting long. However, one of the drawbacks of a latex mattress is that it’s expensive, probably due to the scarcity of the resources used in its making.
Foam mattresses are ideally split into polyfoam and memory foam; however, we’ll be facing memory foam alone in this read. Memory foam mattresses are adept at tension alleviation as it offers the intense cushioning needed for body contouring and cradling pressure points.
On the flip side, they tend to restrict movements and can run hot if they aren’t gel-infused.
Innerspring or pocket coil mattresses are excellent at temperature regulation due to their construct. The mattress is filled with natural airways that serve as channels for heat dispersion while ensuring a night devoid of sweat. However, innerspring mattresses are not prime relief mattresses as they usually come with thin comfort layers and little cushioning.
Hybrid mattresses are a combination of different mattress types. They take the best of different worlds and merge them into a masterpiece. They are known for their edge support, dense core, breathability, and pain relief. They are excellent for building firm mattresses (check out our firm mattress guide here)
A form of illness mostly causes night sweats, and hence, the cause must be duly treated. A cooling mattress can lower the effects, but it’s vital to note that it’s not a cure.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Cooling Mattress
Everyone wants to buy the best cooling mattress in Canada; but apart from thermoregulation, here are some recommended tips that users should put in mind before purchase:
- Motion Isolation. Motion isolation is the ability of a mattress to minimize the impact of movement. This way, disturbances are minimal, a feature that partnered sleepers and couples are bound to love.
- Pain Relief. The comfort layer of a mattress determines its tension alleviating capabilities. Intense cushioning is needed for the mattress to be able to cradle body joints and pressure points, while also ensuring appropriate spinal alignment with a dense core.
- Sleeping Style. Individual sleeping style is another important factor to consider when buying a cooling mattress. Side and back sleepers need appropriate sinkage for their protruding parts, while stomach sleepers require a sturdier surface for proper balance and support. User weight also plays another role in this particular section.
- Edge Support. Reinforced edges enhance mattress uniformity and support. Furthermore, it affords the users more space by creating edges that can be sat on or rolled to without sinking. King-size mattresses use this feature a lot; read our full king-size mattress guide at this link.
- Price. The trick to this is finding the right balance between value offered and money budgeted. For example, running hot is a given in situations like RV use; however, some users might believe that these RV mattresses shouldn’t be spent on. The money spent on such a cooling mattress will go a long way in ensuring that individuals achieve cool comfort during their resting periods.
What firmness level is best for a cooling mattress?
No particular firmness level is best for a cooling mattress. A cooling mattress will perform its function of temperature regulation, no matter the firmness level. The only scenario where it might not work well is when the user’s weight and sleeping style does not match the mattress.
Do cooling mattresses last long?
Cooling mattresses last long, as what makes a mattress durable is the quality of the material used in its production. And since all cooling mattresses boast a firm and thick base layer, durability is guaranteed.
A task as simple as buying a cooling mattress can become daunting if done without proper guidance. And to get the best value for money, we need to understand the functions of cooling mattresses and how they work.
Our recommended pick for this article is the Puffy mattress. It is a remarkable product designed to guarantee cool comfort while improving restorative sleep health. And it has all the features to boot.
Do you have a cooling mattress that you use? We’d love to hear your thoughts; why don’t you hit us up through the comments section?
- Mayo Clinic. (March 05, 2022). Night Sweats. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/night-sweats/basics/definition/sym-20050768
- Times Square Chronicles. (June 12, 2020). 7 Benefits of Owning a Cooling Mattress. Retrieved from https://t2conline.com/7-benefits-of-owning-a-cooling-mattress/
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted